The eagle's left head

Timur would still have to force a crossing of the Dardanelles with no fleet of his own while being opposed by the strongest naval power in the Eastern Mediterranean.
I'm, aware of it, but I should have had to be more clear/formulate it better. I wasn't stating that Timur crossing of the Dardanelles, would be a certainty or that it should happen. In the context of my answer, I intended to mean that for that B (an hypothetically Timur's attack to Lascarids' Balkans holdings) could happen then A (Timur's crossing to Europe by whatever mean) should be necessary to happening first.

Now for attempt to answer your question:
How is he going to do that ?
I'd guess that if ITTL the need for Timur of a fleet or at least for ships to transport his troops would arise then, I'd suppose that he would reach to some of his subjects/vassals for either provide him with them or to built them for his army...
After all, both Siria and Anatolia, are both enter of a thriving commerce both by land and maritime one, through the many ports of the region. Now, Timur's potential access to ships, wouldn't be mean that he would be able to effectively use them for a successful crossing of the Dardanelles, in the face of the more than probably Sicilian-Hellas' fleet opposition.
Of course, that's if all of that, the above mentioned speculative scenarios, will ever come to happen....

I'm, aware of it, but I should have had to be more clear/formulate it better. I wasn't stating that Timur crossing of the Dardanelles, would be a certainty or that it should happen. In the context of my answer, I intended to mean that for that B (an hypothetically Timur's attack to Lascarids' Balkans holdings) could happen then A (Timur's crossing to Europe by whatever mean) should be necessary to happening first.

Now for attempt to answer your question:

I'd guess that if ITTL the need for Timur of a fleet or at least for ships to transport his troops would arise then, I'd suppose that he would reach to some of his subjects/vassals for either provide him with them or to built them for his army...
After all, both Siria and Anatolia, are both enter of a thriving commerce both by land and maritime one, through the many ports of the region. Now, Timur's potential access to ships, wouldn't be mean that he would be able to effectively use them for a successful crossing of the Dardanelles, in the face of the more than probably Sicilian-Hellas' fleet opposition.
Of course, that's if all of that, the above mentioned speculative scenarios, will ever come to happen....
None of his potential subjects (that would be newly subjugated and not overly enthusiastic most likely) would have anything even close to being a match to what the Lascarids can bring in a naval battle. Last time we saw a navally inclined beylik square off against them, it led to a pretty one sided battle.As for them being trade centers, they can try their luck with merchant ships I guess. They will lose a lot but they can try. And just to ferry a significant enough amount of troops to hold a foothold they would need quite a lot of them.

Part 74 New
Lemesos, Cyprus, March 21st, 1373

With Rhodes back under Sicilian control the army that had forced the Hospitallers into surrender had split. Three thousand men under Buas had sailed back to Epirus. The rest along with twenty-eight galleys under Maniakes and Kallergis had instead sailed east against Cyprus, investing the castle of Lemesos. John of Lusignan, the regent of the kingdom would start assembling an army to deal with the invaders, but would also prudently seek terms. Maniakes would refuse outright...

Syracuse, March 1373

Constant campaigning, had not helped Adrienne and Ioannis Maniakes in having children, even or perhaps due to the young princess following her husband on campaign. But finally the couple had had a son in June 1372. Unsurprisingly he would now be baptized Alexandros after his grandfather.

Ioannina, April 1373

Five thousand men under Ioannis Buas marched west to the Metsovon pass and from there into the Hlapen domains from the west. Ten thousand men under Alexandros Philanthropenos were already invading Hlapen's lands from the east.

Constantinople, May 1373

Co-emperor Andronikos IV had been anything but happy at his father being forced into vassalage by sultan Murad. His solution had been to organize a coup to overthrow him... in conjunction with Murad's son Savci bey launching a coup against his own father. Both coups would fail with Murad executing his son and forcing ioannis V to bind Andronikos. Ioannis would only partially do so but come September would make his second son Manuel co-emperor.

Germasogeia, June 1373

John of Lusignan had hoped to avoid battle. His knights and barons were of a different mind, with Lemesos on the bring of surrender and Greek light cavalry burning down their estates and letting the serfs run away and join them. That Maniakes and Kallergis had no knights of their own had just made the calls for battle all the more louder. And John had a thousand knights and three thousand infantry into battle against a Sicilian army twice as large under his two namesakes. He would be proven right in not wanting to give battle, as the Sicilians would inflict on him 1,500 casualties on him for just a third as many casualties. Lemesos would surrender in the end of the month with the Sicilian army moving then west to invest Paphos.

North Italy, September 1373

Francesco Carrara, lord of Padua, had start his second war against Venice with high hopes given the Venetian defeats at Sicilian hands and the Hungarians and Austrians coming to his aid. But the Venetians after accepting peace with Sicily had proven of sterner stuff, defeating the Hungarian invading army at Treviso and taking their commander Nicola Lackfi prisoner, capturing the fortress of Borgoforte from the Paduans and funding a plot by his half-brothers against him. With Louis I of Hungary more interested in securing his succession to the Polish throne, he had accepted peace with Venice and so had Carrara despite the harsh Venetians terms.

Cyprus, November 1373

Paphos surrendered to the Greeks. Over a third of the island had fallen to the Sicilians so far.

Thessaloniki, December 1373

Agnes took a mental note that the Greeks were thinking differently. Even after several decades in Sicily and the Greek mainland she sometimes had to remind herself of that. Take Philanthropenos. His wife Maria was the daughter of a notary and militia commander here in Thessaloniki, who had a fair bit of influence with the Zealots. Which by Frankish standards made her not just a commoner but the daughter of a rebel as well. The Greeks just did not care that way. Neither did she anymore, truth to tell. Otherwise Ioanna wouldn't be getting married in Saint Demetrios cathedral with their son Michael.

Bursa, February 1374

Sultan Murad I looked thoughtfully at the Serb emissaries before him. Radoslav Hlapen had survived the campaign against him the previous year. Short off. The Greeks had driven him out of Veroia, Pieria and Grevena. His fellow Serb lords were not coming to his aid between their disputed and fearing the Greeks. And thus Hlapen had come begging for his aid. Murad was tempted. After all sooner or later war with the Sicilians was inevitable. But not just yet. The huge gains made the past few years had to be absorbed first. After all Sicily was going to be a far tougher nut to crack than the other Christians had proven so far.

Avignon, April 1374

Pope Gregory XI had received the Sicilian envoys well. But the negotiations to lift the ban on Sicily would fail as the Sicilians would refuse to stop the war on Cyprus or to return Rhodes to the Hospitallers. But common ground nevertheless existed and Gregory worried about Muslim expansion in the Balkans. The split would remain but both sides would continue negotiating.

Cagliari, July 1374

The Genoese fleet that had come to the aid of Martinus IV retreated having failed to bring down the Aragonese defenses. But despite the failure nearly the entirety of Sardinia remained under the control of Martinus Sardinians. Only Cagliari, Alghero and Sassari remained under Aragonese control.

Syracuse, December 1374

Adrienne Lascaris Doukas Palaiologos died at age 79. She would be interred together with Theodore I in the imperial crypt at Syracuse....

Cyprus, January 1375

Famagusta surrendered to Ioannis Maniakes. The Lusignans still held Nicosia in the center of the island and its surrounding areas but all the coastal towns were by now under Lascarid control.

Ohrid, February 1375

Radoslav Hlapen had escaped to his son in law prince Marko, after the last of his strongholds in Macedonia had fallen to the army of Philanthropenos. Marko had given him asylum but at the same time had sent envoys to Thessaloniki to find out the Sicilians intentions. The Sicilians had proven without doubt that they were not to be triffled with. If they invaded his own holding Marko would fight back. But otherwise he was not going to bring a war with them on his head...

Cilicia April 1375

The last Armenian king went into Mameluke captivity, as the Mamelukes destroyed the remnants of the kingdom of Lesser Armenia.

Spain, June 1375

Crown prince John of Castille was married to Eleanor of Aragon, finally bringing to an end the war of the two Peters.

Tuscany, July 1375

Florence signed an alliance with Milan. It would be followed by Florentine agents trying to incite revolts in forty towns within the Papal states and paying John Hawkwood, the leading condottiere in Papal service 130,000 florins to refrain from fighting against them. The war of the eight saints between Florence and the Papacy had begun...

Milan, October 1375

Cypriot envoys had tried to secure a marriage between the infant Peter II and Valentina Visconti. Her father Bernabo, the lord of Milan had been to cunning to enter a marriage alliance with Cyprus that would bring him in conflict with Syracuse. Instead he had start negotiations with the Sicilians for a marriage alliance. And thus Rodolfo Visconti the third legitimate son of Bernabo would be married with Maria Lascaris Vatatzes the fourth daughter of the late Alexandros II. Further to the marriage, negotiations would be opened for the betrothal of Theodore with Lucia Visconti....

Nicosia, November 1375

The city and Peter II of Lusignan surrendered to the soldiers of Ioannis Kallergis. The Cretan warlord would be amply rewarded for his success and loyalty to Syracuse. Not least by Anna Lascaris Vatatzes the third sister of Theodore II being married to Ioannis son Leon.

Interesting development so far.

One thing I remembered, something @Laskaris hasn´t done here, the new queen coming to her new home with siblings and friends and these becoming influential in their new home, like Joscelin of Louvain founding the House of Percy in England. Could have been interesting, but didn´t happen.

Interesting development so far.

One thing I remembered, something @Laskaris hasn´t done here, the new queen coming to her new home with siblings and friends and these becoming influential in their new home, like Joscelin of Louvain founding the House of Percy in England. Could have been interesting, but didn´t happen.
It had already happened. The Philanthropenos clan(family of Alexandros I’s wife)…..who is now arguably the most influential family after the Lascarids. Didn’t happen with the Palaiologos and Angevins for very good reasons while the House of Evreuse have plenty of land at least for this generation.

Last edited:
The huge gains made the past few years had to be absorbed first. After all Sicily was going to be a far tougher nut to crack than the other Christians had proven so far.
Likewise for Sicilians after the near simultaneous incorporation from both Crete and Chipre...
But common ground nevertheless existed and Gregory worried about Muslim expansion in the Balkans. The split would remain but both sides would continue negotiating.
And the Ottomans Balkans expansion/eventual attack seem that would provide with such 'common ground'...
After all Sicily was going to be a far tougher nut to crack than the other Christians had proven so far.

Crown prince John of Castille was married to Eleanor of Aragon, finally bringing to an end the war of the two Peters.
Well, now that Aragon would be able to do focus again, in the Mediterranean.., It would look be radically different with both the Central and Eastern Med under the Sicilians hegemony. Thus, it (besides Sardinia, that's it) wouldn't offer them the same opportunities from the past, which may do them to both focus in Sardinia and in the near North African Coast potential trade and/or even raiding opportunities... Especially, due to Aragon being barred. by previous agreements/treaties, from joining/competing with Castile reconquests campaigns
And thus Rodolfo Visconti the third legitimate son of Bernabo would be married with Maria Lascaris Vatatzes the fourth daughter of the late Alexandros II. Further to the marriage, negotiations would be opened for the betrothal of Theodore with Lucia Visconti....
Interesting, we are witnessing the forging of dynastic, political and even, perhaps, financial links between the Visconti ruled North Italian regional power and the Lascarids-Vataztez Sicilian Hellenic Mediterranean one...

It had already happened. The Philanthropenos clan(family of Alexandros I’s wife)…..who is now arguably the most influential family after the Lascarids. Didn’t happen with the Palaiologos and Angevins for very good reasons while the House of Evreuse have plenty of land at least for this generation.
Haha, after careful consideration I have to concede that you are right in that regard. Though I consider the Philantropenos more like birds from the same flock with the Laskarids, origining from ERE culture...

Btw, that reminds me, we haven´t heard from the Asanes family in a while , eh?

Cypriot envoys had tried to secure a marriage between the infant Peter II and Valentina Visconti. Her father Bernabo, the lord of Milan had been to cunning to enter a marriage alliance with Cyprus that would bring him in conflict with Syracuse.
Slight correction here, Valentina was the daughter of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Bernabò's nephew who eventually overthrew him in 1485. Bernabò did have a daughter named Valentina but as she was illegitimate i don't think she would be considered an appropriate marriage partner for a king, even one on the verge of loosing his throne.

Instead he had start negotiations with the Sicilians for a marriage alliance. And thus Rodolfo Visconti the third legitimate son of Bernabo would be married with Maria Lascaris Vatatzes the fourth daughter of the late Alexandros II. Further to the marriage, negotiations would be opened for the betrothal of Theodore with Lucia Visconti....
Depending on the planned time scale for those weddings they could disappear in a puff of smoke if Gian Galeazzo Visconti overthrows his uncle and takes over Milan in 1485 as he did IOTL. At which point his daughter Valentina would become the prime candidate for Theodore's hand, and said match, with the same minor stipulation that her marriage contract received IOTL (that in absence of male heirs, Valentina would inherit the Visconti dominions) could pay off big time for the Laskarids a few generations down the line.

Last edited:
The marriages of Theodore’s oldest sisters have been stabilisation focused, with an aim to bribe the ‘dynatoi’ of the realm. Perhaps the next marriages should be focused on security external allies like actual kings? Who got the second sister btw?

Slight correction here, Valentina was the daughter of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Bernabò's nephew who eventually overthrew him in 1485. Bernabò did have a daughter named Valentina but as she was illegitimate i don't think she would be considered an appropriate marriage partner for a king, even one on the verge of loosing his throne.

Depending on the planned time scale for those weddings they could disappear in a puff of smoke if Gian Galeazzo Visconti overthrows his uncle and takes over Milan in 1485 as he did IOTL. At which point his daughter Valentina would become the prime candidate for Theodore's hand, and said match, with the same minor stipulation that her marriage contract received IOTL (that in absence of male heirs, Valentina would inherit the Visconti dominions) could pay off big time for the Laskarids a few generations down the line.
I am not really sure why people are so obsessed with the Viscontis for the possibility of gaining Milan generations down the line when you have Louis the Great’s daughters, who are actual heiresses. Young Theodore is around the same age as his daughters and a marriage to Louis’ daughters would greatly improve the cooperation between the two already aligned powers, and possibly lead to him turning a blind eye on any attempt to take the rest of Naples.I’d presume they could angle the youngest daughter(Hedwig).

Last edited:
I am not really sure why people are so obsessed with the Viscontis for the possibility of gaining Milan generations down the line when you have Louis the Great’s daughters, who are actual heiresses.
Simple both of Louis's daughters are already betrothed to secure his dynastic ambitions, Mary (since the age of 1) has been betrothed to Sigismund of Luxembourg and is set to inherit Hungary, while Hedwig is betrothed (since 1375) to Władysław II Jagiełło Grand Duke of Lithuania and is set to inherit Poland. Additionally, both died young and produced no surviving children which isn't great for long-term political unions or when you have but one son anchoring the Laskarid line and a host of daughters married to the sons of powerful and influential ‘dynatoi’ of the realm. Not an issue at the moment but if Theodore dies heirless I definitely see the potential for a civil war, among his sisters and their husbands.

As to why the Visconti, that's simple for starters Valentina IOTL had 4 children all of whom survived into adulthood, and her lineage (her mother was a French Princess) further ties the Laskarids into the European royal families. Further, the Visconti are also a regional power in Northern Italy who would, due to their own regional interests, (which also don't overlap with those of the Sicilians) be a natural ally for the Sicillians against other powers on the Italian Peninsula that I have difficulty seeing Hungary taking action against *cough* Papal States *cough* and that not even considering their close connections to the Italian banking industry, which could jump-start them within the empire.

Throw in the long-term potential of a resurgent Eastern Empire controlling the entirety of the Ancient Roman heartlands in Italy a couple generations down the line and it's not hard to see why the prospect is so enticing.

Last edited:
Simple both of Louis's daughters are already betrothed to secure his dynastic ambitions, Mary (since the age of 1) has been betrothed to Sigismund of Luxembourg and is set to inherit Hungary, while Hedwig is betrothed (since 1375) to Władysław II Jagiełło Grand Duke of Lithuania and is set to inherit Poland.
That’s not really true. That’s OTL, and Louis has three daughters IOTL. There’s no telling that the oldest(Catherine) who is still alive at the moment is even going to die as a child. IOTL, after Catherine died, Louis didn’t even originally planned to have Hedwig be the Queen of Poland and marry Wladyslaw II. IOTL, the plan(after Catherine died) was to have her marry William of Austria and be the Queen of Hungary instead! There was no plan for her to marry Wladyslaw at all until she became Queen of Poland in 1384.

Additionally, both died young and produced no surviving children which isn't great for long-term political unions or when you have but one son anchoring the Laskarid line and a host of daughters married to the sons of powerful and influential ‘dynatoi’ of the realm.
The two of them(three if you include Catherine) died in accidents that could be hand-waved due to butterflies.

Not an issue at the moment but if Theodore dies heirless I definitely see the potential for a civil war, among his sisters and their husbands.
Even in the ERE itself the empire doesn’t usually go into civil war when emperor only had sisters/daughters. That said, I strongly suspect that Lascarid will make Theodore die childless one way or another, otherwise he wouldn’t have featured his eldest sister and her family so prominently.

As to why the Visconti, that's simple for starters Valentina IOTL had 4 children all of whom survived into adulthood, and her lineage (her mother was a French Princess) further ties the Laskarids into the European royal families. Further, the Visconti are also a regional power in Northern Italy who would, due to their own regional interests, (which also don't overlap with those of the Sicilians) be a natural ally for the Sicillians against other powers on the Italian Peninsula that I have difficulty seeing Hungary taking action against *cough* Papal States *cough*.
Louis the Great’s line ties the Laskarids much better to other royal families. He’s a Neapolitan/French prince as well. The guy’s a cool chad. Having him as an ancestor of the Lascarid family sounds cool. The man is literally a king and his daughters will be queen. If the three daughters don’t die prematurely, then you are automatically friendly with at least two major kingdoms in Christiandom.

Throw in the long-term potential of a resurgent Eastern Empire controlling the entirety of the Ancient Roman heartlands in Italia a couple generations down the line and it's not hard to see why the prospect is so enticing.
As OTL proved, Milan ain’t worth the trouble. France spent so much treasure and lives trying to claim the place even though the French King was legally the heir. Did they get it? Nope. You are also counting on the Milanese ducal house to somehow die out a few generations down the line, something that could easily be butterflied and the characters in story have no way of knowing. For this very reason alone, I cannot comprehend why people are so obsessed with Valentina Visconti. A long term relationship with Hungary is better towards helping out the empire’s more immediate problems and perhaps even allows the empire to eventually inherit lands in Hungary too. Even if you don’t get Hungary, as I have stated earlier, Louis will probably give his son in law his blessings to take over Naples.

Last edited:

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
Ioannis Kallergis reaction:
thogdad-that-tastes-like-promotion.gif