Maid of Norway, Queen of Scotland: A Plantagenet Britain Timeline

Please know that from now on everything French-related has been approved and accepted by @Wings so if you have any hate mail or death threats, feel free to direct that towards him.

(Also thank you, Wings.)
Great chapter and nice timeskip!

Let's hope this friendship doesnt end up costing Ned.

And yay! the wedding is near!

“I guess,” said Édouard, not having realised his friend was mocking him. “But she was actually the first girl I met that wasn’t one of my sisters. So there is that.”
I actually said first that Margaret was the first girl he met that wasn't related to him, but then I remembered... she is related to him. They're first cousins once removed.

Nice time jump, can't wait to see Margaret and Edouard get married 😍😍😍. Hopefully we have much more in tuned ruler with TTL Edward II when he becomes King of England/Scotland. I believe Margaret has grown into a fierce (possibly shrewd) lady during her years in Scotland as Queen.

Since we’ve done a timeskip - - it’s worth noting that OTL, fighting in the war actually wrapped up around 1295-97, while negotiations dragged on to 1303. From this update, we can infer the actual fighting has indeed ended, but I wonder if said war has gone better for the English than OTL? Likewise, are we to gather from the Prince’s talk of the Pope intervening and his father wanting to return, that the negotiations are likely to conclude soon (thus much earlier than OTL)?

CONSOLIDATE: What I’m getting at here is just looking at the changes to the Anglo-French War, has enough been altered that the Saint Sardos incident and fall of Gascony in 1324 are now less likely to happen? (Obviously, we can also talk about how other changes in the TL make this less likely to play out as OTL, but I’m particularly curious about the legacy of the 1294 War here.)

Last edited:
A time jump! Nice! I can’t wait for our two favorite royals to reunite as it’s been so long and they’ve both grown up now! I wonder what they’ll think of eachother now! Can’t wait for their marriage!

Chapter XXXV - Peace in our Time
March 1299. Lusignan, Poitou.

The treaty was signed in the early hours of the afternoon, a fortnight after both parties arrived at the city. The King of France was represented by his younger brother, Louis, Count of Évreux and a statesman by the name of Guillaume de Nogaret, while his cousin the King of England was represented by his friend and confidant Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln.

The agreement was rather simple, despite everything.

It was signed that the marriage between Lady Constance of Windsor, presently seven and in the custody of her governess, would be married to King Philip’s eldest son and heir, Louis, at the age of twelve. She would not bring a dowry with her and the King of France was expected to allot lands of sufficient income to maintain a household worthy of her status in its stead. The betrothal between Henry, Earl of Kent and Lady Joanna of Flanders, six and five years of age respectively, was recognized and accepted by the King of France. The lands of Gascony would return to the King of England, who would pay a sum of 20,000 marks in reparation for the war. His son, Édouard, Prince of Wales, would perform homage to King Philip in Paris in the name of his father before the end of the year.

Once the King of France might have hoped to betroth his own daughter, four-year-old Mademoiselle Ysabeau, to Prince Édouard, but the match between him and Queen Margaret took precedence, despite the large offer of money for it to be broken. Not to mention, the age difference of eleven years between Ysabeau and the Prince, which meant that it would be over a decade before she could produce legitimate children, while Queen Margaret, at sixteen, was already of an age to be a mother.

There was, of course, the hope of a son born to the young Scottish queen now that peace reigned and her intended husband was to return to England. A son to marry Mademoiselle and bring the blood of King Philip to the House of Anjou, but such a possibility was distant. And no one truly expected it to come true.

More else, the betrothal between Louis of France and Mademoiselle Marguerite de Bourgogne, now broken, was to be considered the fault of the English king who would pay 500 marks to Duke Robert II in restitution. She was, however, betrothed to Monsieur Charles, third son of King Philip who was four years her junior and would be made Count of Champagne when either he came of age or his mother died. And her sister Jeanne de Bourgogne would wed Monsieur Philippe de Valois, eldest son of the Count of Valois. The Count of Valois would also be released from his imprisonment in Flanders, having been captured by the Earl of Carrick at the start of the war, and the King of France would pay a ransom of 50,000 marks to be divided between King Edward, Count Guy of Flanders and Robert Bruce.

Such was the agreement. Signed and sealed before a papal legate, sent there to oversee the negotiations.

Now, once again, peace reigned over Europe.

May 1299. Louvre Palace, France.

Philip, Fourth with that Name, King of France and Navarre brought a cup of wine to his mouth. The mood around him was merry, a feast to celebrate the end of the war and homage ceremony between himself and the Prince of Wales in the name of his father. It was supposed to be a happy occasion, but he didn’t feel it. At all.

He looked at the Prince. The boy had recently turned fifteen and there was still some youth and boyishness to him. But he was tall, golden-haired and broad-shouldered. The boy would be even taller than his father, Philip believed, and be more handsome than him. He was still young, of course, but if the war’s end would lead to anything, it would be to his return to England and the celebration of his marriage with the Queen of Scots.

When his eyes met Édouard’s, the boy averted his gaze to prevent him from seeing the grimace that spread across his face. The English royals still had some misunderstandings over Edmund of Lancaster’s death then. And the boy could hardly hide his hatred. It made Philip chuckle.

“He’s quite handsome,” Jeanne whispered beside him. “A pity you couldn’t get our daughter married to him. I’d love to have those curls in my bloodline.” The acid in her words was difficult to miss. She really was angry at the missed betrothal, then.

“Careful,” Philip said. “If you keep saying things like that, I might even get jealous.” He knew she was only being half-truthful though. What she wanted wasn’t the golden curls of Edward’s golden boy. It was Gascony in the hands of their grandchildren, either through the male or female line. It didn’t matter where. He smiled. “The English king would never have accepted it. The match with Scotland is more important, apparently.”

“Apparently,” Jeanne repeated. “I suppose we’ll have to accept Lady Constance of England being married to our son.”

“Yes,” said Philip. “Hopefully, she’ll be different from her mother.” The uncrowned Queen of England was a bold and outspoken woman, everyone said. Her actions and disagreements with her husband’s daughter had led to the woman’s banishment from court and her subsequent near-poverty upon her husband’s death. She only lived through the income of her dower lands in Gloucester. He didn’t want that sort of woman near his son.

“The girl spent many years away from her,” Jeanne said in response. “She is seven now, isn’t she? The formative years are nearly behind her. And we can send a trusted woman to be her governess. Edward won’t be able to deny it, if we claim it’s to give her the graces and manners necessary to be Queen of France, even if he disapproves.”

“Who, then?” The women of France were hardly his responsibility, especially the noble ones. He didn’t know who could perform such a task.

“I’ll think about it.” Jeanne looked at Prince Édouard again. “Do you know something I’ve been thinking of?” He shook his head. “No other family would have valued the Queen of Scots so much. They might have sent younger sons to marry her, but only England and her king would ever think to give their eldest heir to a half-Norwegian little girl.”

“England has long coveted Scotland,” said Philip. “I’m only surprised it took them this long.”

Jeanne hummed before she changed the subject, “We should marry our son Philippe to Jeanne de Bourgogne, daughter of my cousin Mahaut and Count Otto.” Jeanne would hold the county of Burgundy one day, after her brother’s death during the war, and her grandfather’s Artois someday too. The death of Mahaut’s brother and nephew had made it so.

“Make the arrangements,” Philip said in return.

Last edited:
@pandizzy Amazing work as always! And boy Ned has no idea of the arrow he just dodged there.

And really Philip? It shocks You SO much that Edward wants his heir to marry a Queen whos ready to have kids and Will finally unite the British isles with those kids over your little daughter? Talk about arrogance.

@pandizzy Amazing work as always! And boy Ned has no idea of the arrow he just dodged there.

And really Philip? It shocks You SO much that Edward wants his heir to marry a Queen whos ready to have kids and Will finally unite the British isles with those kids over your little daughter? Talk about arrogance.
I mean, who wouldn't want the civilized, pristine and plentifully French lands over the mountainous, barren and uncivilized Scottish ones?

Better secure scotland once and For all than to dispute with France endlessly over the lands

I in part agree, although technically more than a dispute over simple French possessions, we are legally talking about the Angevin dominions, which are very tempting for Philip and his descendants ( since it would mean definitively weakening the main threat to their government in the kingdom ), which I hope that won't happen, in fact I would really like to see Philip's scared face if the Plantagenets increased their possessions in the kingdom ( combined with the fact that they have many more resources to use to defend them, thanks to the peaceful union with Scotland )

I mean, who wouldn't want the civilized, pristine and plentifully French lands over the mountainous, barren and uncivilized Scottish ones?

Because you don't really need two front war. France would be still cause troubles and you don't really want annoy Scots.

I in part agree, although technically more than a dispute over simple French possessions, we are legally talking about the Angevin dominions, which are very tempting for Philip and his descendants ( since it would mean definitively weakening the main threat to their government in the kingdom ), which I hope that won't happen, in fact I would really like to see Philip's scared face if the Plantagenets increased their possessions in the kingdom ( combined with the fact that they have many more resources to use to defend them, thanks to the peaceful union with Scotland )
Yep. The united kingdom Will give France more trouble For Gascony

Because you don't really need two front war. France would be still cause troubles and you don't really want annoy Scots.
Edward said in his first pov that he can't risk someone he doesn't control taking over his northern border. Margaret marrying his son is much more advantageous to him than a match with Ysabeau, for the simple fact that when Margaret and Edouard's son inherits England + Scotland, that will literally put an end to any and all possible wars with Scotland, while Ysabeau won't have the same advantage.