Pretty much, yeah. And as much as I like the Art Museum, you could stick a Congress building on that hill and it'd still look nice.
Does that Hill have a formal name, I wonder? But yes that’s precisely where I would site Congress in such a scenario.
So the stairs that Rocky Climbed iOTL would end up as the location of the new meetinghouse for Congress iTTL?
Basically
So the least damaged Confederate states are Florida, North Carolina, and Louisiana, right? Will these states emerge as the most developed, populous and economically viable as time goes on, or will other factors place other states ahead of the pack?

Also will the capital remain Richmond? I've forgotten if it was mentioned.
I'm not sure Arkansas has seen that much more devastation than these, all of the fighting there was in the last 6 months, and I don't think the author indicated that Little Rock had suffered anywhere near the devastation of South Carolina's cities, for example.

And unless the history of Air Conditioning is very different iTTL, Florida really hasn't developed much south of the Northern Tier, which the US did attack near the end of the war. (Orlando is a wide place in the road at this point, and Miami a wide place on a beach.)

My *personal head-canon* ranking of Confederate states by level of devastation at the end of the war. Kentucky is as far down the list as it isbecause the USA probably helped fix the western 3/4 just to use it as part of their supply grid in attacking Tennessee. If Texas had stayed in the Confederacy, *they* would have been one of the top dogs, there are areas that the US troops didn't get to that are larger than Georgia and I doubt the Texas Civil War saw the type of industrial War that was brought to places like Tennessee and Virginia. (The eastern front iOTL WWI didn't create any significant Zone Rouge areas because you rarely had multiple battles in the same place)

Most Devastated:
Tennessee
Georgia
South Carolina
Virginia
Kentucky
Alabama
Mississippi
Florida
Arkansas
Texas
North Carolina
Louisiana
Least Devastated
I’d say this list by @naraht more or less ranks the most-least destroyed pretty ably.

And NC being spared the worst of the war will definitely redound hugely to its benefit, long term.

And NC being spared the worst of the war will definitely redound hugely to its benefit, long term.
The Triangle schools being a sort of CSA Ivy League could be fun to play with. Just because the CSA overall is a complete basket case doesn't mean there won't be success stories at the state/local level.

In term of North Carolina, did the USN operate inside the Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds (on the land side of the Outer Banks)? I'm sure Wilmington took the force of the US Navy (which I'm quite sure was *bored* by the end of the war. :) ), but I'm wondering about New Bern, Edenton and Elizabeth City.

Also, from the standpoint of someone in the Timeline writing an AH about the GAW, what nations would be most likely to join the war who didn't and conversely, who would be most likely to stay out of those who joined? The second *seems* to be Bolivia & Peru. And all of the PODs that would seem to lead to a BS victory were in the first few months of the war.

(I wonder if *any* European/Asian Power joining the GAW would be viewed as ASB)

" In other news, relations between Lemon Hill and Fairmount remained strained as Congress debated increasing funding to subsidise state-based health systems ..." - Union Broadcasting Channel
IIRC, Lemon Hill and Fairmount are closer physically to each other than Capitol Hill and the White House are. So, honestly, the 'Federal District' in this case might well go from the northern end of Lemon Hill Park down Ben Franklin Boulevard to roughly Philly City Hall (maybe let the city keep that one, lol)

The Triangle schools being a sort of CSA Ivy League could be fun to play with. Just because the CSA overall is a complete basket case doesn't mean there won't be success stories at the state/local level.
Alternatively, I have tried to consider where you could put an equivalent of the Research Triangle in the alt-US. The best candidate I thought of, interestingly enough, was Colorado with CU Boulder, CSU, and U-Denver as our equivalents forming the “triangle” (with U of Wyoming another hour or so north)
Yeah, the name of the hill is Fairmount.
" In other news, relations between Lemon Hill and Fairmount remained strained as Congress debated increasing funding to subsidise state-based health systems ..." - Union Broadcasting Channel
IIRC, Lemon Hill and Fairmount are closer physically to each other than Capitol Hill and the White House are. So, honestly, the 'Federal District' in this case might well go from the northern end of Lemon Hill Park down Ben Franklin Boulevard to roughly Philly City Hall (maybe let the city keep that one, lol)
I really like this.

And looking at the map you could probably end the Federal District at Logan Square with Race, 18th and Penn Ave as your boundaries at the southern end
In term of North Carolina, did the USN operate inside the Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds (on the land side of the Outer Banks)? I'm sure Wilmington took the force of the US Navy (which I'm quite sure was *bored* by the end of the war. :) ), but I'm wondering about New Bern, Edenton and Elizabeth City.

Also, from the standpoint of someone in the Timeline writing an AH about the GAW, what nations would be most likely to join the war who didn't and conversely, who would be most likely to stay out of those who joined? The second *seems* to be Bolivia & Peru. And all of the PODs that would seem to lead to a BS victory were in the first few months of the war.

(I wonder if *any* European/Asian Power joining the GAW would be viewed as ASB)
The inner Pamlico is probably not a super important theater of operations for the USN to be honest

Spain strikes me as the only European country with an interest in entering the war at any point depending on BS behavior in the Caribbean

Philadelphia as a capital starting from 1915 is entertaining. Everything recognizable is already there, it’s just going to get a lot more federal funding and buildings splashed about.

So the Feds ask for and get a federal district taking in Fairmount Park from Girard Avenue to the Museum of Art. Lemon Hill is revamped into the executive residence, a vice presidential residence is constructed to the north, and the already-planned and -designed Museum of Art building becomes the home of Congress.

The Zoo already exists and becomes the home of the National Zoo collection as well. But few of the recreational facilities to the north exist, and few of the institutions to the South along what will become the Benjamin Franklin Parkway either.

So if the Feds also request parts of Fairmount Park become a national cemetery, then what does Philly get out of them in return? I assume the government is already on the hook for building a new art museum, likely where the Rodin Museum stands today. What else can the city wring out of them as recompense for losing its newish, shiny urban park?

Last edited:
Alternatively, I have tried to consider where you could put an equivalent of the Research Triangle in the alt-US. The best candidate I thought of, interestingly enough, was Colorado with CU Boulder, CSU, and U-Denver as our equivalents forming the “triangle” (with U of Wyoming another hour or so north)
That would work. I'm biased because I live in Chicago but you could also do a South Bend-Chicago-Milwaukee corridor. Notre Dame, University of Chicago/Northwestern (among others), and the MSOE (among others) in Milwaukee as your flagships/anchors.

It is about 200 miles by car from South Bend to Milwaukee and you pass several universities along the way.

Philadelphia as a capital starting from 1915 is entertaining. Everything recognizable is already there, it’s just going to get a lot more federal funding and buildings splashed about.

So the Feds ask for and get a federal district taking in Fairmount Park from Girard Avenue to the Museum of Art. Lemon Hill is revamped into the executive residence, a vice presidential residence is constructed to the north, and the already-planned and -designed Museum of Art building becomes the home of Congress.

The Zoo already exists and becomes the home of the National Zoo collection as well. But few of the recreational facilities to the north exist, and few of the institutions to the South along what will become the Benjamin Franklin Parkway either.

So if the Feds also request parts of Fairmount Park become a national cemetery, then what does Philly get out of them in return? I assume the government is already on the hook for building a new art museum, likely where the Rodin Museum stands today. What else can the city wring out of them as recompense for losing its newish, shiny urban park?
Would said zoo on the other side of the Skook be part of said district, in your thinking?

The institutions along the Franklin Parkway would be perfect for siting federal office buildings, SCOTUS, Smithsonian museums, etc.

I think Philly would be very excited, generally, to have all that sweet, sweet federal patronage by making the District as small as possible so the city reaps rewards from having all the various agencies throughout
Just my two cents, but I think a cemetery would be better placed in DC, or DC-adjacent.
Could have more than one, but I agree
That would work. I'm biased because I live in Chicago but you could also do a South Bend-Chicago-Milwaukee corridor. Notre Dame, University of Chicago/Northwestern (among others), and the MSOE (among others) in Milwaukee as your flagships/anchors.

It is about 200 miles by car from South Bend to Milwaukee and you pass several universities along the way.
Could work, too. Though my thinking on Colorado is that like NC’s Triangle, the impetus could be on developing a rural-ish state with decent urban bones as a federal patronage project

Could work, too. Though my thinking on Colorado is that like NC’s Triangle, the impetus could be on developing a rural-ish state with decent urban bones as a federal patronage project
All it takes is one future President/VP or even an influential Senator/Congressman from Colorado and all of a sudden some federal funds flow out west to expand the public universities out there and voila! You have yourself a research hub!

Would said zoo on the other side of the Skook be part of said district, in your thinking?
De jure no, no reason to. Just rename it the national zoo and add whatever bits of the collection in DC survived. Same for turning much of Fairmount into the national military cemetery.
The institutions along the Franklin Parkway would be perfect for siting federal office buildings, SCOTUS, Smithsonian museums, etc.
The Parkway barely exists. A Lot of people lived in that area in 1915, who will stop getting a vote in municipal, state, or federal elections if they’re in the capitol district. I think you get the area that will become Eakins Oval, which is mostly taken up by factories, to serve as a front lawn for Congress, and that’s about it.

I think the de jure Capital district basically ends up being a manicured park with the executive and VP residences on Lemon Hill, the Capitol on Fairmount, the “National Rowing Center below the executive residence, and the “Old Waterworks Reception Annex” below Congress. All the other shit we’re used to in DC will be in Philly but not in the capital district legally, and Philly will like it that way.

I think Philly would be very excited, generally, to have all that sweet, sweet federal patronage by making the District as small as possible so the city reaps rewards from having all the various agencies throughout
Yep.

Also, useful resource: https://www.philageohistory.org/tiles/viewer/

Check the 1910 Atlas.

All it takes is one future President/VP or even an influential Senator/Congressman from Colorado and all of a sudden some federal funds flow out west to expand the public universities out there and voila! You have yourself a research hub!
That’s sort of how we got the OTL Triangle - Terry Sanford was very tight with JFK
De jure no, no reason to. Just rename it the national zoo and add whatever bits of the collection in DC survived. Same for turning much of Fairmount into the national military cemetery.

The Parkway barely exists. A Lot of people lived in that area in 1915, who will stop getting a vote in municipal, state, or federal elections if they’re in the capitol district. I think you get the area that will become Eakins Oval, which is mostly taken up by factories, to serve as a front lawn for Congress, and that’s about it.

I think the de jure Capital district basically ends up being a manicured park with the executive and VP residences on Lemon Hill, the Capitol on Fairmount, the “National Rowing Center below the executive residence, and the “Old Waterworks Reception Annex” below Congress. All the other shit we’re used to in DC will be in Philly but not in the capital district legally, and Philly will like it that way.

Yep.

Also, useful resource: https://www.philageohistory.org/tiles/viewer/

Check the 1910 Atlas.
Wholly agreed
Cemetery and monument to civilian casualties in DC but there’re few places on earth with a primary military cemetery far from the capital.
My thoughts on DC Cemetery was more of a Gettysburg/Normandy vibe with a dash of Punchbowl than Arlington

Phew, managed to finish catching up with this timeline just before the year's end! Really amazing work!

With Hughes being President, I was wondering what is going on with Frederick Banting and his insulin discoveries, as Hughes' daughter Elizabeth was his first American patient in the early 1920s. Apparently, Charles Best and Clark Noble flipped a coin to see who would be Banting's lab assistant, so it might be Banting and Noble who win the Nobel TTL. Alternatively, Banting did try to join the army three times for WW1, denied the first two time due to poor eyesight, and was wounded in the Battle of Cambrai, so he may have done the same for the Ghadar action and might have met his end there.

Banting was directly inspired by an article by Moses Barron on the role of the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas in diabetes, so perhaps ITTL, in the absence of Banting, Barron continues on his own work and makes the discovery himself, perhaps with Hughes' backing. It would certainly be another good Canada-US inversion.

Last edited:
Canadian federal election, 1917
1917 Canadian federal election

235 seats in the House of Commons; 118 seats for a majority

Conservatives: 119 (-7)
Liberals: 64 (+11)
Ligue Nationaliste Canadienne: 42 (+2)
United Farmers: 8 (+8)
Labour: 2 (+1)
Independents: 0 (-1)

-
"...McCarthy sported a fairly impressive record to take to Canada. The years 1914-16 had been an absolute boomtime for the economy, particularly for agricultural exports of not only grain but syrup and molasses, pork and beef, and dairy, while the country's industrial capacity had ballooned and timber yields had spiked. Both Montreal and Vancouver had emerged as among the busiest ports in the Empire, Canadian soldiery had acquitted themselves marvelously in putting down the Ghadar Mutiny in India, and the kind of tense social unrest that had typified the first decade of the century seemed largely settled. New railroads crisscrossed the country, tens of thousands of people had immigrated from across the Empire and Europe to settle the Plains, and the ambitious mega-project of building a deepwater port in Hudson Bay at Port Nelson, Manitoba [1] would be completed by summer. In addition, the Prime Minister himself was a more formidable electoral figure in his own right, shedding the more genteel trappings of much of his party for a more populist, middle class oeuvre, pivoting to portray the Liberals as creatures of the Montreal business establishment and the Tories as defenders of Canadian prosperity. The election's timing in the spring, before the realities of sharply declining agricultural prices became clear to the general public, worked in the government's favor, too.

Whatever one expected of McCarthy, however, the expected Tory landslide did not emerge - indeed, the Tories would be the only party to lose seats as the House of Commons was expanded by fourteen members for 1917, and they would hold a bare one-seat majority once the polls closed. McCarthy, thought of as the barnstorming, popular savior of the Anglophone Canadian ascendancy, had nearly cost the government its majority, even if he had lost much fewer seats than Whitney's substantial losses four years earlier. McCarthy, despite his Francophobic bonafides throughout his career, had never been popular with the "Old Lodge," as the shadowy establishment that coordinated various Orange organizations, Anglican lay societies and Conservative riding associations was known, and despite returning a third consecutive Tory majority, McCarthy was on borrowed time.

The 1917 elections were a watershed in many ways; they proved that the Tory dynasty, thought indestructible as recently as 1910 when it had conquered what remained of the Laurier-era Liberals and successfully contained French education and influence to the borders of Quebec, could be challenged. For Crerar, more importantly, it brought him to Ottawa, as one of eight "United Farmers" candidates who ran not as a party but as a coordinated slate of independents, auguring the performances they would turn in over the next three years across Canada. While their caucus in Ottawa may have been small and they were clearly subsidiary allies of William Fielding's opposition Liberals, small things had great beginnings, and the agrarian populist movement first triggered in 1912 had returned with a vengeance and some level of sophistication to enter the Commons as spokespeople of the farmer at a time when the economic stability of the homestead and the ranch came into serious question..."

- The People's Prime Minister: Thomas Crerar's Remarkable Canadian Life

[1] A project abandoned in OTL due to WW1

The United Farmers seem to have some interesting shadows of the NPL and how they operated (I wondered if this was a common strategy spoken about by populist on both sides of the border at the time)

Though we know Canada will remain more Conservative, nice to see the Prairie Populists active and able to have some influence!

I also wonder if Canadian and Upper Midwestern Populists will be in communication and Influencing one another throughout the 1920s