The Rebirth of the Ottoman Empire

Don Grey

Banned
It was a nice TL, Onkel Willie. A little wankish, but it's not like the board is exactly full of Ottowank. Well done. ;)

Don Grey, my TL starts in 1876, and as a result of the POD (no assassination of Hüseyin Avni Paşa) the Ottomans do better in the war - the rest goes from there. I have done my best to make sure it's as realistic as possible - no wank, and firmly based in financial, geopolitical, and human realities.

I have the history sketched out, and have begun writing it. I'm doing it as a full work of fiction, not just a TL.

The avni pasha living is great. On a side note i dont know why çerkez hasan killed 5 important goverment officials when is father ismail bey ran from the caucasus to get away from russian rule. He also married into the royal family. So when will we see your first post or a sneak peak?

The avni pasha living is great. On a side note i dont know why çerkez hasan killed 5 important goverment officials when is father ismail bey ran from the caucasus to get away from russian rule. He also married into the royal family. So when will we see your first post or a sneak peak?

Wait, he only killed two people, I think - maybe a couple of others were wounded.

He apparently had a strong grudge against Huseyin Avni because Avni was going to transfer him to Marzuk, and also he was on Yusuf Izzeddin's staff, so took the death of Abdul Aziz personally, blamed Avni and wanted revenge (so the theory goes).

Some people think Midhat arranged it because Avni was opposed to him, but that really doesn't sound like something Midhat would do.

I think Abdul Hamid was a very capable man, but at the very beginning he was too inexperienced to handle such a dangerous and complicated situation, so I think an experienced war minister like Huseyin Avni would have made a huge difference.

If you look at the war, the Ottomans should have won. The Russians didn't attack with enough troops, and the Ottoman army was superior in equipment and quality, plus had some pretty strong defensive advantages. It was disorganization and lack of control from the center that caused the Russian victory.

You have 'Sweden-Norway' in an alt-WWI - and then you refer to the country as 'Sweden' for the rest of the TL, unless I missed something, which I might have, because I kind of skimmed it - it's pretty long. From what I know of Norway's history, I don't think any Swedish compromises are likely to keep Norway in the country, certainly not just a name change (which is ignored anyway). [Yes, I'm sure your 'compromises' involved a lot more than name changes.]

Again, I might have missed something, but why on earth would Britain have committed suicide in WWII like that? OTL, she went to war against an aggressive, murderous Nazi regime. TTL, she's SUPPORTING the aggressive revanchist (and weaker) side? I'd have thought that she'd stay out.

Still, quibbles aside, the basic thrust of the TL is fascinating.