What if more ethnic homelands were created

Israel is actually an interesting case. It was almost created from scratch, if you know what I men. Large numbers of Jews had to move there before it could be a viable ethnic homeland. I can't think of another case like that. However, there are lots of ethnic groups already living in their homelands that simply aren't independent states.

Are there any other ethnic groups that are very dispersed but might congregate if offered a nation-state? The Gypsies perhaps? The Zoroastrians? Arab Christians? (was that Israel's plan for Lebanon?)

Are there any other ethnic groups that are very dispersed but might congregate if offered a nation-state? The Gypsies perhaps? The Zoroastrians? Arab Christians? (was that Israel's plan for Lebanon?)

Their are less than half a million Zoroastrians in the world, with the plurality living in India.

Yeah none of those groups have enough people to warrant a state.

In regard to my post?

There are +10 million Arab Christians in Egypt and the Levant, and that's after decades of heavy emigration. If they all moved to say Lebanon post WW2 they may well out-gun Israel as the Middle East's premier military and economic power.

There would also seem to be enough Gypsies in Eastern Europe to justify a smallish country: several millions at the least, and heavily persecuted wherever they live. A Gypsy homeland post-WW2 would today have a population on par with the smaller Balkan countries.

edit -- I don't think Gypsy is necessarily derogatory, although it is a misnomer. No more insulting than calling Native Americans "Indians" I'd say: an honest historical error that stuck.

Problem is, I'm pretty sure Arab Christians are usually divided into smaller ethnicities and nationalities. Not to mention different denominations.

As far as Roma go, the idea has been discussed on the board and the consensus is that it would be very hard to implement and probably the most fair way would be to allow them some sort of flexible citizenship as they travel from country to country.

Problem is, I'm pretty sure Arab Christians are usually divided into smaller ethnicities and nationalities. Not to mention different denominations.

Agreed it'd be hard to get them to concentrate willingly, but if there's say a wave of islamic revolutions in the Arab world (either in some past alternate timeline or in a real future) they may be forced into it.

edit -- I don't think Gypsy is necessarily derogatory, although it is a misnomer. No more insulting than calling Native Americans "Indians" I'd say: an honest historical error that stuck.

The Roma themselves consider it derogatory, and it's usually used in a negative way.

Agreed it'd be hard to get them to concentrate willingly, but if there's say a wave of islamic revolutions in the Arab world (either in some past alternate timeline or in a real future) they may be forced into it.

What's going to stop them from immigrating to Europe or the Americas? A lot of the Christian population in the Middle East had enough coin to afford to move out in the first place. It sort of helped a large part of the urban middle class in many countries were Christian.

For some reason, Kurdistan seems like the most similar state to Israel, though not that much because the Kurds aren't in that big of a diaspora since they live pretty close to their ancestral homes.

Were there any other places that the great powers really did discuss about granting a homeland to, in OTL?

For some reason, Kurdistan seems like the most similar state to Israel, though not that much because the Kurds aren't in that big of a diaspora since they live pretty close to their ancestral homes.

Were there any other places that the great powers really did discuss about granting a homeland to, in OTL?

The Assyrians in Iraq.

The Assyrians tried pleading for an independent state in northern Iraq during the negotiations of the Paris Peace Conference. The British had promised to support independence of an Assyrian state in exchange for Assyrian military support against the Ottomans. It was because of the Assyrians in OTL that the British secured control of Mosul from the Turks.

The British were very adamant on dividing Turkey up further so they betrayed them.

the never-ratified Treaty of Sèvres laid out the idea of Kurdistan and super Armenia with in the borders of Turkey, of course Atatürk came along and took those lands back
Not to mention that the Democratic Republic of Armenia didn't even try to take control of the territory awarded to them, since they lacked capacity to do so.

Cook

Banned
Um yeah anyway I'd like to see actual references about considerations of creating a Kurdish state post-WWI.
Any decent book covering the deliberations at the Paris Peace Conference covers them. When the British created the Kingdom of Iraq out of their mandated territory in Mesopotamia the northern region of Mosul was not initially included. Had it remained separate it would have become a Kurdish majority country.

Warsie

Banned
Their are less than half a million Zoroastrians in the world, with the plurality living in India.

apparently there is a resurgence of zoroasterianism in iran with people deconverting from islam to that belief system

Don Grey

Banned
Israel was created by the British taking part of Ottoman Territory and then letting Jews immigrate their, eventually being given Independence.

Israel has fought wars as an Independent state, but it did not fight for its independence.

An armenia was conqoured by the russians after the russians collapesed they declared independence then went to war with the newly forming republic of turkey lost and then was conqoured byt the soviets.

Um yeah anyway I'd like to see actual references about considerations of creating a Kurdish state post-WWI. I know the Kurds get a lot of press, but I feel like it's more of a post-Gulf War phenomenon, probably before 1991 they were considered yet another stateless ethnicity among countless ones.

Actualy it is a post gulf war phenominon because during the cold war the only ones fighting for "independence" were the pkk and they were a soviet proxy.

The Treaty of Sevres was a stupid idea anyway. Giving huge amounts of Eastern Anatolia to Armenia where Armenians hadn't been the Majority for centuries (and in some cases, never). Creating a Kurdish state (Which would be governed by who exactly, the Kurds didn't have a significantly educated state, and at any rate, the state would be dominated by the Brits. Then theres giving non-Greek areas to Greece. It was an especially harsh treaty and it was a good thing it was overturned.

Vast majority of kurds were nomads at the time the people living in urban areas were turks turcokmans assyrians arabs and armenians.

Whats wrong with you.

Not to mention that the Democratic Republic of Armenia didn't even try to take control of the territory awarded to them, since they lacked capacity to do so.

Actualy they did. But the area they wanted was out of there compacity they failed misarably at trying to get it.