WI: Who Succeeds Edward VIII in a Vichy UK

Edward VIII was married to Wallis Simpson for 35 years but they had no children. In a tl where Britain loses WWII and George VI and other anti-German royals either escape or are executed, who will succeed a restored puppet Edward when he dies in 1972? Depending on succession laws, I believe the most likely claimant would be Prince Edward, the eldest son of his youngest Brother George. Depending on whoever the most likely successor is, how would the monarchy go moving forward under a fascist puppet regime?

Garrison

Donor
No, it is not ASB. People use that term too freely, it is just unlikely that a puppet Nazi state, doubly so the UK, is going to be around in 1972.
Yeah even if for some reason Britain makes peace in 1940 I do not see a British equivalent of Vichy coming to power. To get the British to make peace in 1940 is going to take remarkably generous terms.

Yeah even if for some reason Britain makes peace in 1940 I do not see a British equivalent of Vichy coming to power. To get the British to make peace in 1940 is going to take remarkably generous terms.
I just had a scenario in mind and wanted to see how the line of succession would work here since the idea has been popular before.

I just had a scenario in mind and wanted to see how the line of succession would work here since the idea has been popular before.
I also think the real problem is, the royal family will almost certainly escape to Canada or whatever. I doubt the Nazi regime would even try to prop up an obviously fake claim(not to mention, how do they get Edward to England? Wasn't he in Bermuda or wherever?) .

Most likely in a Vchy Britain scenario a republic is declared long before Edward dies in 1972 as most of the top Nazis like Hitler were anti-monarchy.

Most likely in a Vchy Britain scenario a republic is declared long before Edward dies in 1972 as most of the top Nazis like Hitler were anti-monarchy.
He likely would've been a more reliable puppet than Mosley would so maybe the occupiers factor in his sympathies when setting up the puppet regime.

Edward VIII was married to Wallis Simpson for 35 years but they had no children. In a tl where Britain loses WWII and George VI and other anti-German royals either escape or are executed, who will succeed a restored puppet Edward when he dies in 1972? Depending on succession laws, I believe the most likely claimant would be Prince Edward, the eldest son of his youngest Brother George. Depending on whoever the most likely successor is, how would the monarchy go moving forward under a fascist puppet regime?
Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester.

Wouldn't his fighting against the Reich during the war be a mark against his selection, even if he was a good little fascist wouldn't the fact he was going to die two years later just make him an interim, and if we just go through his line wouldn't he have taken his children to Canada with him?
You can make the argument that the whole royal family would flee to Canada, even Eddie VIII, to be honest if you want you can get a german kingd instead, with the head of the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha in power.

friedrich_josias_von_coburg_large.jpg

He would be Frederick I and restore the claim of the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha over Britain, in exange for a lot of dissent.

Last edited:
You can make the argument that the whole royal family would flee to Canada, even Eddie VIII, to be honest if you want you can get a german kingd instead, with the head of the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha in power.

friedrich_josias_von_coburg_large.jpg

He would be Frederick I and restore the claim of the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha over Britain, in exange for a lot of dissent.
I was just trying to divide it between royals who actively fought in the war and those who just happened to be alive.

Try the Writers' Forum.

I'm not sure the Writer's Forum is the appropriate place to dump things that aren't already story format.

To the OP, though, David's objection stands. You've clearly got this scenario fairly thought out, so you have two options.

A: Just ask who would succeed Edward if he somehow had succeeded to the throne, whether via no Wallis Simpson or a foreign intervention.

B: Present the scenario in a more fleshed out way.

When you give us a full fledged alternate history scenario in one paragraph and then ask a question about it, all that's going to come to peoples' minds is more questions.