Indonesia ATL: The Presidency of Try Sutrisno (1997-)

210: Into 2003
25th December 2002:
After attending church at the Cathedral Church, Vice President JB Sumarlin and Second Lady Theresia Yustina Sudarmi Sumarlin returned to the Vice-Presidential Palace where they welcomed President Try Sutrisno and First Lady Tuti Setiawati, the First Couple visiting to wishing the Second Couple a Merry Christmas. The four posed for pictures, with both the President and Sumarlin explaining that this was a social occasion and that talking about politics would be inappropriate.

26th December 2002:
At her private residence, Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati Soekarnoputri held a press conference ostensibly to wish those who a celebrate it a Merry Christmas but she looked quite gleeful when she was inevitably asked about what she thought about what has been described as the President’s “Setbacks Speech” and the struggles ABRI faced in its exercises.

“Setbacks are one thing but decline is another”, said Megawati “We might just well go into decline if we have another five years like the last five…”

Megawati was asked about how confident she was of her prospects at the MPR General Session. Megawati only smiled and repeated her claim that there is a way for those who are looking out for the people’s interests.

27th December 2002:
At the Presidential Palace, the President had a meeting with Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita. The President asked how the rest of the region was reacting to ABRI’s struggles in its exercise.

Ginandjar painted a mixed picture. Of the Southeast Asian nations which are part of the Jakarta Bloc, the Philippines are most concerned. The Indonesian Embassy in Manila has received word that the Malacanang Palace is worried that this might strengthen the hands of those who favor a more pro-American foreign policy such as Vice President Gloria Arroyo. On the other hand, in Cambodia where an election is due in 7 months, this will help FUNCINPEC’s Norodom Ranariddh as he seeks the prime ministership by blunting Prime Minister Hun Sen’s charge that Norodom will “subordinate Phnom Penh to Jakarta” and shine the spotlight firmly on China and its growing influence in Cambodia.

The President and Ginandjar also took the opportunity to go through the President’s mid-January itinerary which would take him, to Mauritius where he will attend the first Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Summit.

29th December 2002:
The ABRI Joint Military Exercise came to an end today with a simulation of taking over the Supadio Air Base in Pontianak, West Kalimantan and the Balikpapan Airbase in Balikpapan, East Kalimantan by the Air Force’s Paskhas followed by, in the case of the attack on Supadio Air Base, a landing by Army Raider personnel riding on MI-17 Transport Helicopters to back up the Paskhas attack and secure the air base. With sections of Pontianak and Balikpapan closed off to civilians for most of the day, personnel from all four branches of ABRI conducted an exercise of coming into a city and securing both its key points and buildings which the enemy could potentially attack out of. All those observing the exercise commented that there was a determination not to have anymore mishaps or mistakes as the exercise came to a close.

Commander of ABRI Wiranto held a press conference to mark the end of the joint military exercise. He announced that a review of the exercise will be conducted by a team chaired by the Deputy Commander of ABRI with the Commander of the ABRI Staff and Command College and Commander of the ABRI Academy as the vice-chairs. Wiranto explained that the involvement of the ABRI Staff and Command College and the ABRI Academy is because he wants the results of this review to be passed on to officers and officer cadets learning at both institutions.

Asked about what he thought about the exercise and how ABRI would be perceived by other nations in the region, Wiranto said that ABRI had a lot to learn from the exercise and that ABRI will be perceived by other nations in the region as an armed forces that is willing to work through its problems and learn from it.

“This setback will not weaken our resolve both to continue the reorganization mandated by the ABRI Leadership Meeting earlier in the year and to continue improving our military capabilities”, replied Wiranto.

30th December 2002:
The President was seen having lunch at the Presidential Palace with Minister of Mining and Energy Djiteng Marsudi and members of the Indonesian Coal Mining Association (APBI). Djiteng and the APBI members were tight-lipped as they emerged from the Presidential Palace though they looked pleased. Djiteng and the APBI members only said to the press gathered that what was agreed on will be announced in due course.

At the Presidential Palace, Minister of Forestry and Environment Barnabas Suebu was seen coming out of a meeting with the President. He announced that the President had approved the establishment of a legal timber certification scheme. Suebu said this certification will become available on 1st April 2003 and that it will be a key document in obtaining a permit to export timber. All forest concessionaires who have brought themselves into compliance with existing regulations are eligible to apply. Suebu said that while there are no time limits for those concessionaires who still have not complied to bring, they will simply not qualify for this certification.

31st December 2002:
Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti and Head of BPS Gunawan Sumodiningrat came out of a meeting with the President to hold a joint press conference to talk about the economy. The following are the highlights:

*The Indonesian economy performed strongly again this year. Domestic consumption remains solid especially during the end of school year holidays (June-July) and during the double holiday period in December. Domestic consumption was stronger in the first half of the year fuelled by election campaign related spending by all four political parties.

*This consumption is matched by production in what Dorodjatun described as the “year factories open”. Domestic investors and businesses who played it safe during the Asian Financial Crisis with their investments, began investing and expanding again as the crisis abated in the second half of 1999, and now their factories are coming into operation throughout 2002.

*Economic growth including projection numbers for economic activity during the Eid and Christmas-New Year period at 9.4%. Inflation is at 5.1%, slightly higher than last year due to the combined demand for Indonesian goods and services from both domestic markets and foreign markets alike though the international economy had not fully recovered from the previous year’s recession.

Dorodjatun was asked by a foreign journalist about whether the economic growth figures being lower than 9.8% in 2001 is due to uncertainty as a result of the PKPB’s election victory and the possibility that Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto will become president in March. Refusing to get into the politics, Dorodjatun acknowledged that there was a lot of waiting and seeing when it became apparent that the PKPB was going to perform strongly at the 2002 Elections and in the aftermath of PKPB’s victory but that things have settled down especially after the PKPB cooperated in passing the Manpower Law.

Speaking to the press as he exited his office at the end of the day, State Secretary Edi Sudrajat pointed to what he thought was the most important statistic: the poverty rate being at 11.1%. Edi said that this means that not only has poverty been reduced to pre-crisis levels but that this pre-crisis level has been exceeded.

2nd January 2003:
At the Presidential Palace, the President swore in the following:

*Maj. Gen. (Ret.) Suadi Atma as Governor of West Kalimantan
*Maj. Gen. Ahmad Djunaedi Sikki as Governor of South Sulawesi

In a television interview, Leader of the PKPB in the DPR Akbar Tandjung was talking to the viewers that Tutut Soeharto would be a president that the Indonesian economy could rely upon, pointing to the fact that there was positive sentiment in the economy after the PKPB supported the passing of the Manpower Law. Akbar began struggling, however, when the questioning turned to the topic of how the PKPB members in the DPR were intending to delay the passing of the Anti-Terror Bill on grounds that it will give too much leeway for the government to “go after” those of the majority faith. As the interview ended, Akbar made another mental note.

3rd January 2003:
The President’s Friday Prayer partner today was Minister of Defense and Security Wismoyo Arismunandar. From the beginning, both could not hide the fact that defense policy was not the main reason why they were meeting that day.

“Mr. Minister of Defense and Security”, began the President “It is my intention that Vice President Sumarlin should put his name forward for another term at the MPR General Session. I think at the present stage of this nation’s journey, he is the best partner that I could have. I’ve been told that you have some interest in this office and I want to ask you, without disregarding all that you have done for me, to put whatever interest aside and show your support for him.”

Wismoyo nodded his head.

“I’ve gotten the message from the Minister of Tourism and I respect the fact that you’ve taken the time to tell me this, Mr. President so I can hear it directly from you”, said Wismoyo “I’ve always thought, Mr. President, that your strongest supporters are not those who think that some departure from how my Brother-In-Law has done things is necessary; it’s from those who think that there is no contradiction between supporting him and transferring that support to you. If the Vice President does not nominate for a second term, I would be obliged to nominate on behalf of my, dareisayit, consituents. So my first question to you is, do the Minister of Agriculture and the Minister of Industry and their constituents also support the Vice President’s nomination?”

“They do”, replied the President.

“The other thing I want to ask, Mr. President, is what would a second term for the Vice President mean for defense policy?” asked Wismoyo.

“I know that we’re able to spend more on defense because of our economic position, he knows that with our economic position he’s not in a position to say no to more defense spending”, replied the President “That and the fact that I am the Head of State, the Head of Government, and the Supreme Commander of ABRI.”

Wismoyo chuckled.

“I’m satisfied, I won’t get in your way or in the Vice President’s”, said Wismoyo.

5th January 2003:
The PPP’s 30th Anniversary Celebration evening had to suppress a groan of disappointment when the Presidential Palace announced that the President was “not well enough” to attend. That placed more spotlight on Sumarlin though the star of the show was undoubtedly Chairman of the PPP Matori Abdul Djalil.

“Fellow PPP members, I stand before you as a PPP member holding the esteemed position of Chairman of the DPR/MPR”, Matori said proudly as the audience cheered him “And when you see that I am the Chairman of the DPR/MPR, you must remember who permitted it for this esteemed office to fall into our party’s hands, you must remember who it is that we will support at the 2003 MPR General Session for the office of the President of the Republic of Indonesia…”

“Try…Try…Try…”, chanted the PPP members in unison.

“And having given our party this esteemed office, our obligation now at the PPP is to support President Try in whoever he chooses to nominate as Vice President of the Republic of Indonesia”, continued Matori “So if he chooses someone with expertise in economics…”

The Jakarta Convention Center rumbled with laughter before some broke into a chant of “Sumarlin…Wapres…Sumarlin…Wapres” while Sumarlin nodded in acknowledgment at the support.

The President, who was in fact not unwell but just wanted Sumarlin and the PPP to spend some time together, watched on approvingly on the television at the Presidential Palace.

At Cendana Street, Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto did not fail to recognize that not everybody cheered and chanted for Sumarlin most notably Day-to-Day Chairman of the PPP Hamzah Haz who looked to be only clapping politely.

---
In 1996, the last year before the Asian Financial Crisis, the poverty rate was 11.4% https://www.google.co.id/books/edit....4%+poverty+1996&pg=PA193&printsec=frontcover

There's a part of the conversation between Try and Wismoyo where there is a coded aspect to the conversation. When he's asking what's going to happen to defense policy, Wismoyo is essentially asking how much influence Sumarlin is going to have over Try if he continues as VP, Try says "It's a give and take but ultimately I'm the one in charge and I make the final decision".

Akbar made another mental note.
I WANT AKBAR TO FUCK PKPB FROM BEHIND I WANT AKBAR TO FUCK PKPB FROM BEHIND I WANT AKBAR TO FUCK PKPB FROM BEHIND I WANT AKBAR TO FUCK PKPB FROM BEHIND I WANT AKBAR TO FUCK PKPB FROM BEHIND

AAAARGGGHHHHH GIMME AKBAR REDEMPTION ARC

“Setbacks are one thing but decline is another”, said Megawati “We might just well go into decline if we have another five years like the last five…”
Bu Mega saying this was peak political contrarianism. The data shown by the government 2 days later shows the opposite thing lmao.

I WANT AKBAR TO FUCK PKPB FROM BEHIND I WANT AKBAR TO FUCK PKPB FROM BEHIND I WANT AKBAR TO FUCK PKPB FROM BEHIND I WANT AKBAR TO FUCK PKPB FROM BEHIND I WANT AKBAR TO FUCK PKPB FROM BEHIND

AAAARGGGHHHHH GIMME AKBAR REDEMPTION ARC
XD XD XD

Bu Mega saying this was peak political contrarianism. The data shown by the government 2 days later shows the opposite thing lmao.
The opposition can't give any credit to the government lol.

ITTL Mega is pretty much her OTL self if it got stuck in 1999 before she became VP: someone that people who are against the New Order place their hopes in. IMO, after she became VP, after she maneuvered to and became part of the movement to replace Gus Dur, after she became president, that's when she made the transition to her Present Day OTL self.

Talking about Simbok pardon me uhuk... Mega
She is definetely do not undestand how manage nation, SBY better than her. Luckily she have talented men for cadre to become her party national leadership candidate. Honestly i am truly sceptical towards Ganjar. I am on Central Java but his leadership i think it's worse than Bibit. How can he become president?,??

Hell on this alternate she become kind of loser. Tri Sutrisno truly winner here even though if he lost on election. Mbak Tutut and Simbok truly lost for his influence whether intern and foreign. Tutut maybe win but one major slips up Tri can replace her anytime

Last edited:
A bit of warning, try to avoid politics in places outside Chat. Mods don't like if you talk too close to current politics in any places outside Chat.

Talking about Simbok pardon me uhuk... Mega
She is definetely do not undestand how manage nation, SBY better than her. Luckily she have talented men for cadre to become her party national leadership candidate. Honestly i am truly sceptical towards Ganjar. I am on Central Java but his leadership i think it's worse than Bibit. How can he become president?,??

Hell on this alternate she become kind of loser. Tri Sutrisno truly winner here even though if he lost on election. Mbak Tutut and Simbok truly lost for his influence whether intern and foreign. Tutut maybe win but one major slips up Tri can replace her anytime
Finally a central javanese perspective, Would love to hear why would his leadership are not as good as Bibit's... Are his accomplishments only happened because of central government policies AKA auto pilot?

@GSD310 will the TL still continue after Try step down from President?
What are you insinuating my friend🤨??? Are you saying Try's gonna lose in 2003??

Jokes aside, an epilogue of what happened to important named characters is a better way to end it rather than burning out author's creativity

211: Second Chances, Kangaroo Footprints, and How Many Seats Under Control In The MPR
6th January 2003:
At the Presidential Palace today, President Try Sutrisno chaired a cabinet meeting attended by Vice President JB Sumarlin and all cabinet ministers and heads of agencies. The meeting heard and approved of Minister of Finance Mar’ie Muhammad’s presentation about the 2003/2004 Draft Budget which will be delivered by the President the next day.

Interviewed at the PKPI National Headquarters, Chairman of the PKPI Basofi Sudirman expressed his happiness at the PPP’s reaction towards Sumarlin and said that who will be the PKPI’s presidential and vice-presidential candidates will be made official soon.

7th January 2003:
With Chairman of the DPR Matori Abdul Djalil leading the day’s proceedings, the President today delivered the 2003/2004 Draft Budget in front of the DPR. Though the President only highlighted the fact that this will be the final budget of Repelita VII, the press highlighted the fact that this could either be the last budget of his presidency or the first budget of his next term. The highlight of the draft budget are the following:

Revenue:
-The government is putting a 12-month moratorium on the construction of new government offices and has only budgeted for repairwork on existing government offices for 2003/2004. Given that the national economy is in full swing, is to avoid taking up building material that could otherwise be used for other buildings and avoid putting inflationary pressure on the prices of building materials.

-Exit taxes to be abolished for Indonesians seeking to travel to Singapore, Brunei Darussalam, Malaysia, Cambodia, and Myanmar.

-Abolition of luxury goods taxes on desktop computers and laptops as well as apartments below 100 m2. The President mentioned that both computers and laptops as well as apartments have become necessities. Businesses, offices, and schools now require the use of computers and laptops in order to become more productive and gain more schools while people living in cities are increasingly using apartments as places to dwell.

Spending:
-The Presidential Instruction on Junior High Schools will return to accelerate the construction of Junior High School Buildings during the final year of Repelita VII and as the government seeks to fulfill the target of achieving Compulsory 9-Year Education. Existing Junior High Schools will continue to receive operational assistance to help with costs and so that junior high schools do not burden parents with extra costs.

-The Presidential Instruction on Kindergartens will seek to provide operational assistance to state kindergartens whose classrooms have been completed while continuing construction of other kindergarten classrooms.

-Spending on infrastructure for this year will push for the completion of the Trans-Java Toll Road but at the same time will also begin paying more focus on infrastructure on islands other than Java with various stretches of the Trans-Sumatra Toll Road and the Trans-Irian Jaya Toll Road getting a mention as projects which the President would like to see progressing this year.

-Defense spending was 1.5% of GDP in 2000, 1.6% of GDP in 2001, and 1.9% of GDP in 2002. This will now be brought up to 2.75% of GDP in the 2003/2004 fiscal year.

8th January 2003:
ABRI conducted a minor shuffle today to fill in the position at ABRI Headquarters left behind by Ahmad Djunaedi Sikki as he assumes office as Governor of South Sulawesi. The highlight of the shuffle however was as follows:

*Maj. Gen. Romulo Simbolon is promoted to lieutenant general and takes over as Secretary at the Department of Defense and Security.

*Maj. Gen. Noer Muis takes over Romulo’s old position as Assistant of Planning at ABRI Headquarters.

*Maj. Gen. George Toisutta takes over Noer Muis’ old position as Commander of the Jakarta Regional Military Command.

Speaking to the press after a meeting with the President, State Minister of Rural Development Feisal Tamin reported that for the present fiscal year (2002/2003), rural electrification is on track to reach 96%. This means that the government is on track to achieve 100% rural electrification by the end of Repelita VII. When asked if 100% rural electrification meant 24 hours electricity in all rural regions, Feisal said that he is aware that not all regions have 24 hours electricity but that first step before getting 24 hours electricity is to get electricity to the villages in the first place.

9th January 2003:
In a press conference after his meeting with the President, Minister of Tourism Soeyono said that the President has approved the formations of the Borobudur Temple Tourism Authority and the Lake Toba Tourism Authority within the Department of Tourism so that these two tourist sites can be be better managed and optimized. Speaking about the government’s term coming to an end soon, Soeyono said that he brought foreign tourist arrivals in 2002 to 9 million and that he hopes that whoever succeeds him can bring it across the 10 million mark.

Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto had a television interview on SCTV. The interview was lighthhearted though it got serious when Tutut was asked if she had any regrets in life. Tutut became thoughtful and then spoke out.

“I don’t want to say that I regret it but I wished I had gotten more involved in matters of state, or politics if you prefer, at an earlier stage”, Tutut explained “I’ve been a housewife, a businesswoman, a philanthrophist but I only ever got involved in politics when I became a Vice Chairwoman of Golkar in 1993.

I’ve never told anyone this story but my father twice expressed his interest in having me serve in the cabinet as a minister. But I told him I had other demands on my time and I didn’t want to burden him with people accusing him of being a nepotist so I said no. Some of my supporters said that had I said yes, I would have had some experience to draw on and had a better chance when I nominated for the presidency at the 1998 MPR General Session. But I have a second chance in less than two months’ time and this time I have the experience of being the leader of a party and the experience of leading that party to an election victory, so I dare to think that I think I would do well at leading this country to greater victories in the future.”

10th January 2003:
At the Presidential Palace today, President Try welcomed President of Vietnam Tran Duc Luong who arrived for a visit. After the official welcome was out of the way, Try held talks with Luong. Try was accompanied by Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita and State Secretary Edi Sudrajat while Luong was accompanied by Vietnamese Minister of Foreign Affairs Nguyen Dy Nien.

Luong said that he came because both the General Secretary of the Vietnamese Communist Party and the Prime Minister of Vietnam had visited Indonesia and that he wanted to visit to show that Vietnam’s collective leadership was in favor of good relations with Indonesia. Try replied Vietnam’s hand of friendship was something Indonesia could not reject and told Luong that his visit was fortuitous considering the development in international politics. This was the cue for the real discussion to begin.

Nien spoke about the United States’ effort to gain support from the United Nations for the military operation it seeks to launch against President of Yugoslavia Slobodan Milosevic and how Russia has committed itself to provide military aid for Yugoslavia. But Nien said, and both Try and Luong agreed, Indonesia and Vietnam’s common interest in this situation was what the People’s Republic of China’s stance would be. Nien then spoke saying that while the list of nations that will be part of the United States’ coalition continues to grow longer only Russia and Belarus had sided with Yugoslavia and even then, only to provide weapons.

Based on Vietnamese intelligence and contacts in both Beijing and Moscow, Nien said that in all likelihood, China will only provide aid of a non-military nature to Yugoslavia; China having not declared publicly which way it will stand.

“One would think that China would want to get involved in this, if not because of its relations with Russia and Yugoslavia, then at least because their embassy in Belgrade got bombed in 1999”, said Try “I thought the new General Secretary is more hawkish as well.”

“We had hoped for China’s participation too, President Try. That way it would spend less time looking in Southeast Asia’s direction”, replied Luong “But it appears that economics is still the overriding priority in Beijing because they don’t want to lose their newly-won supply of coal.”

“Coal?” asked Try confused “You mean the agreement they signed with Australia, Mr. President? That’s why they’re not going to help Yugoslavia?”

There was silence in the room for a few moments. Ginandjar took off his glasses, cleaned it with his handkerchief and then put it back on his head. He began speaking, more to Try, rather than anyone else in the room.

“If China doesn’t get their supply of coal from Australia, who else can they turn to so they can feed their economic growth? They can go to other coal producers but they won’t be able to avoid coming to us if they want to get a good supply of coal. But China’s interest clashes with ours and you have shown, Mr. President, that you’re not interested in having Chinese investment anywhere near our natural resources. So China has to turn to Australia…” said Ginandjar.

“But President Jiang said that Australia was the one that came to them, not the other way around” interjected Edi referring to Try's meeting with President of China Jiang Zemin.

“Well, Australia has its own economy to consider but it also has other considerations. It has military commitments in the Solomon Islands and in Afghanistan as well as a peacekeeping role in the Sierra Leone. Their participation in Yugoslavia will mean that they will start to feel militarily overstretched if not already”, replied Ginandjar “And with us increasing our defense spending, they’ll feel insecure departing for Yugoslavia. They want China to stay out of Yugoslavia so that the United States and the coalition will hopefully have an easier time and so that we’ll be more than occupied by China while they’re off in Yugoslavia.”

“Your Minister of Foreign Affairs sees the equation very well, Mr. President”, said Luong.

11th January 2003:
The morning provided a momentary distraction from strategic matters. At Ciawi, West Java accompanied by Minister of Public Works Rachmat Witoelar and Governor of West Java Muzani Syukur, the President inaugurated the Ciawi-Sukabumi Toll Road. The President rode on the Toll Road until Sukabumi where he and his entourage had lunch of Sukabumi Chicken Porridge before heading back to the Bogor Presidential Palace.

During the afternoon at Bogor, Try met with Luong who had spent the morning in Jakarta. For Try, the confirmation that Australia could not be trusted was somewhat compensated by Vietnam’s realization of Indonesia’s predicament. Luong wondered whether it was safe for Indonesia to focus on China with Australia “making mischief” behind its back. When Try politely said that Vietnam should leave Indonesia to worry about this situation, Luong said that considering Indonesia’s vital position in Southeast Asia at the moment, what Australia is doing indirectly endangers the rest of Southeast Asia. As their talk came to an end and they stood up to shake hands, Luong also expressed Vietnam’s belief that ABRI will learn from the experiences of its recent joint military exercise and that Vietnam is open for closer military ties. On that note Luong departed for the Halim Perdanakusuma Airport and back to Vietnam.

12th January 2003:
On this day, it was the President’s turn to go to Halim Perdanakusuma Airport as he got ready to depart for his overseas trip. Images of the President and First Lady Tuti Setiawati as they walked up to the Presidential Airplane dominated the television screen including in a restaurant somewhere in Jakarta where two men reminisced about the past.

“You were a lot of help” said Taufiq Kiemas “You and Mas Agum and Pak Ari Sudewo, you all helped her become the Chairwoman of the PDI and she will remember that for the rest of her life.”

PKPI member Hendropriyono laughed nostalgically though he turned serious.

“It probably won’t surprise you but I asked you to come and meet me because I wanted to talk to you about the MPR General Session and Mbak Mega’s chances in it”, said Hendropriyono making reference to Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati Soekarnoputri.

“It probably won’t surprise you that I knew this was going going to come up” said Taufiq as he laughed.

“There’s going to be three candidates for the presidency at the MPR Session: President Try, the Chairwoman of the PKPB, and Mbak Mega”, Hendropriyono continued “But out of the three candidates, Mbak Mega will control the least amount of seats in the MPR. Suppose she gets eliminated in the first round of voting, where will she direct the votes that she has in her control in the second round of voting?”

“You’re trying to get the PNI to commit to supporting the President once Mega is eliminated?” asked Taufiq.

“I’m open to all possibilities”, replied Hendropriyono with a smile.

Taufiq laughed and then it was his turn to get serious.

“The PKPI, the PPP, and ABRI…that will give you the most seats in the MPR when it’s time to vote”, acknowledged Taufiq “But by my count, that’s still less than 501 seats and even then, even within your PKPI-PPP-ABRI coalition it’s not going to be a unanimous vote for President Try, isn’t it? Within the PKPI, that’s the case. But the PPP members supporting Hamzah Haz, the PPP members from Muhammadiyah supporting Amien Rais, would you be able to count on their vote? And what about ABRI? If the rumors I’m hearing are true, there’s one prominent active duty officer that’s not entirely happy with what the President’s doing though from what I’m hearing, this unhappiness is related with how his career is stuck. My wife will have the least amount of seats in the MPR out of the presidential candidates but she will control it fully. The President won’t even have full control over the seats he supposedly holds.”

Hendropriyono sighed.

“You’re right”, replied Hendropriyono “It’s not going to be easy.”

---
So, which one is the bigger geopolitical opponent for ITTL Indonesia? China or Australia?

On OTL Tutut twice rejecting appointment as a minister in her father’s cabinet: https://www.tututsoeharto.id/tiga-kali-diminta-menjadi-menteri/

In OTL, Megawati’s rise to the Chairwomanship of the PDI was helped along by Army officers who either did not get in her way enough for Soeharto’s liking or were genuinely sympathetic to her or were part of ABRI’s Red and White (Nationalist) faction showing some defiance to Soeharto who was then favoring the Green (Islam-friendly) faction. These officers were Hendropriyono, Agum Gumelar, and Ari Sudewo. I’ve somehow never found literature on how Try or Edi felt towards Megawati’s rise or whether they tried asking Soeharto to be more lenient towards her.

Defense spending was 1.5% of GDP in 2000, 1.6% of GDP in 2001, and 1.9% of GDP in 2002. This will now be brought up to 2.75% of GDP in the 2003/2004 fiscal year.
🤤.... But pls for the love of god standardized everything. Don't make ABRI list of equipment wikipedia page looks like some shitty Grabfood restaurant

Note: for reference, OTL spending was around 0,9% of an already lower GPD than this ATL(and don't forget we we're at war at the time lol)

Last edited:
The President won’t even have full control over the seats he supposedly holds.”
Oh bugger off old geezer. Our boy Akbar WILL swoop in and save the day Sixth Golkar National Congress Style 😎

Hard truths cut both ways 😤 😤

Joke aside i hope Try don't lose the election. We all know how good Indonesian economy is gonna get soon and the last thing we need are these lil fockers in charge when times are good

I’ve somehow never found literature on how Try or Edi felt towards Megawati’s rise or whether they tried asking Soeharto to be more lenient towards her.
Edi in particular seems to have so little information out there 🥲

Crazy how Red White factions just falters or sold their soul to Megawati's regime and in turn get fucked by SBY lmao(and we haven't even mention the reformist lol)

Also no comment on those pesky australians

Edi in particular seems to have so little information out there 🥲

Crazy how Red White factions just falters or sold their soul to Megawati's regime and in turn get fucked by SBY lmao(and we haven't even mention the reformist lol)
Rightly or wrongly, the Red and White Faction was seen by Soeharto as being associated with Benny Moerdani. Or at least the Red and White Faction that had direct interaction with Benny Moerdani. Wiranto and SBY were seen to be Red and White but they did all right.

I think the Red and White faction are OK with Megawati and Jokowi because they're seen as "Red and White". To a certain extent they're ok with SBY too because Edi and the OTL PKPI were part of Yudhoyono's coalition. Wahid probably not too much because he supported Agus WK. Habibie also probably not too much because he was supported by the Green Faction.

There's a theory that if Edi won against Akbar in the OTL 1998 Golkar Congress and he becomes chairman, he was going to use Golkar to hold a Special MPR Session, take Habibie down and put Try in as president (Check out the lower half of the page of this link https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...sion+try+sutrisno&pg=PA22&printsec=frontcover). I knew it was a potential POD when I wanted to write a Try-TL but thought it was a messy way to get Try in place as president. And by 1998, the economy was in too much trouble for a recovery as in ITTL to be pulled off.