Indonesia ATL: The Presidency of Try Sutrisno (1997-)

Now we need to get Vice President reelected. Go Sumarlin. With Ginandjar gone will we see the Vice President gain more influence in the cabinet? Is the PKPB and PNI upto some trick regarding this?

Is PPP going to split given that it is now P and P and P?

Will being Try's son in law cost Lt. Gen Ryamizard Ryacudu his chance to become the Chief of Staff of the Army?

9th March 2003:
I waited with a bated breath for this moment, as one of two possible reactions of Try's Presidential Decisions on the last entry is: Try has make another hubris and would drew criticism, admittedly since part of me thinks that it was too soon (i redacted this word on my last comment back then) and another part of me assuages me that this is just appropriate. The other reaction is that this would secure victory for not just the 2003 MPR Session, but the eventual 2006 Elections.

Oh well, on the Endgame we go!

The last one to emerge was Chairman of the Group Delegates Nurcholish Madjid and microphones were thrust in his face, asking him how the Group Delegates would approach this round of voting. Nurcholish said that in the previous two rounds, despite stating that they will remain impartial in practice MPR Delegates belonging to the Group Delegates have voted or have been persuaded to vote for either one of the presidential candidates. The number of those who have remained impartial are decreasing.

“I have abstained in the previous two rounds of voting but for this round, I think a different approach is required”, Nurcholish said “I want to state on the record that I feel this Government has done well, it took us out the Asian Financial Crisis, it’s built infrastructure and increased living standards. My choice to abstain has been because of my stance that someone has to remain impartial not because I don’t recognize what has been achieved.

I had expected for the vote to be settled in the previous two rounds, but it evidently hasn’t. In the last 24 hours however, my thoughts keep coming back to the following three things. The first is my opinion on how the Government has fared in the last years, which I have just stated. The second thing is the fact that in the event of no candidates achieving enough votes to be declared elected, the President will no longer be allowed to nominate because new candidates would have to be nominated in accordance with the latest MPR Resolution on how the presidential and vice presidential is to be conducted.

The third and final thing, there are those who are abstaining not because they want to remain impartial but for political reasons…because they want to bring about a political outcome. I think the given the political reasons for this, these abstentions should not go unpunished.

For this round of voting, I intend not to remain impartial and cast my vote. I would ask others in the Group Delegates who have yet to cast a vote in the previous rounds to cast their vote in this round of voting.”
Good one, Gus Dur!

---
At the Presidential Palace, President Try Sutrisno presided over a ceremony in which he swore in the following:

*Marzuki Darusman SH as Acting Minister of Foreign Affairs, Marzuki will continue to retain his existing position as Minister of Legal Affairs
*Lt. Gen. Albert Inkiriwang as Acting Governor of Lemhanas

It was a short ceremony with just enough cameras to cover it because most of the cameramen had departed for the MPR Building.
As i have said before, more than one mouths gasped.

On the Group Delegates’ bus, where the ceremony was being shown on the bus’ television set, Ginandjar Kartasasmita scoffed quietly. That he had not been informed of this event and the appointment of Marzuki, who had intruded on foreign policy and clashed with Ginandjar, meant that it was calculated to embarrass and humiliate him.

Salah sendiri, pakai main dua kaki segala *nose twitch*”, a voice from elsewhere on the bus was heard saying.
BRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Luckily no one is home right now since i laughed so hard at this moment awokawokawokawok

Mbak Alissa must be just quietly put a hand over her father's hand to remind him of courtesy on account of the rather personal quip lol

In the PKPB bus, Chairman of the PKPB’s MPR Delegation Prabowo Subianto had thrown down his mobile phone so hard it had shattered into pieces when he saw that the ceremony will also involve the swearing in of the Acting Governor of Lemhanas. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and his band of followers had been caught out and that meant that Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto could no longer be rely on their votes.
Aaaasss expected lol
In the ABRI bus, Yudhoyono watched with a dejected expression. No one had come to his defense when Commander of ABRI Wiranto announced that he had been dismissed as Governor of Lemhanas. The others caught the message loud and clear that he was being made an example of and that they must fall in line and vote for the Pesident.

“I should just not care and still not vote for him, I have nothing to lose, right?” muttered Yudhoyono.

Mas Bambang, there’s still my career, there’s still Pramono’s career”, said Yudhoyono’s seat buddy, brother-in-law and Inspector General of the Army Erwin Sudjono “And there’s still Agus’ career.”

Yudhoyono shuddered at the thought of the President going after the military careers of his two brothers-in-law and his son. He still had something to lose after all.
Well yeah. I hope he enjoyed his time in either Wamena or Yahukimo next. I hope he can maximise those "Hearts and Minds" missions to put him back on the spotlight, but maybe not too much he can do right now since i believe OPM has been softened enough with more and more physical development there (albeit maybe not too much on the mountains), and also more and more Papuans involved in the central-level national development. Of course, the ISA are still there, lurking....

---

At the Presidential Palace, Edi, Marzuki, and Albert Inkiriwang had departed together for the MPR Building in Edi’s official vehicle. The President headed for his private quarters though reporters were keen to get a word from him. Their curiosity why he replaced Ginandjar and Yudhoyono outweighed such questions such as how he felt moments before the MPR decides on his fate.

“I want to be sure whether I have 2 days or 2 months or 2 years or 2 terms as president, that those who I appoint are those I am convinced are on my side, not those openly trying to establish a political relationship with my opponents”, the President replied “The bloody details of the story I’m sure you enterprising reporters and journalists will find out after the MPR General Session, but for now I’d like to be somewhere quiet to watch what’s happening in the MPR. As you all are no doubt aware, my fate is being decided.”
Yeah. His decisions right there would spark debates i believe. And those who are PNI-aligned would have a big time on this one.

---
At the MPR Building’s VIP Room, Chairman of the MPR Matori Abdul Djalil looked around at his vice chairmen of the MPR and wondered whether their moods were symbolic of their respective delegations.

Basofi Sudirman (PKPI) was quietly confident while Hartono (PKPB) for once looked dejected rather than looking like someone who was taking it for granted that they will win. Alex Litaay (PNI) was at once determined but ready to crumble at anytime. Nyoman Suwisma (ABRI) looked like he did not get a lot of sleep. Mario Carrascalao (Regional Delegates) seemed prepared for all eventualities while Edwin Soeryadjaya (Group Delegates) looked ready and keen to do something in the voting process rather than sit it out like on previous occasions.

Matori himself felt resolute just as the pro-Try PPP felt resolute, their 68 votes having not wavered despite approaches from the Tutut camp via Hamzah Haz and also by the Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati Soekarnoputri’s camp.

“Mr. Chairman”, an aide called in “The Acting Minister of Foreign Affairs, the State Secretary, and the Acting Governor of Lemhanas has arrived and sat down. Everyone’s taken their seats.”

“Let’s do this, then”, Matori said.
Let's go!

There was little drama as the MPR Delegates cast their votes. The KPU staff in charge of overseeing proceedings had once again become more efficient and the voting process, while still taking time because of the amount of delegates, was quicker than in the previous round. There was a collective gasp when Amirul Isnaeni from the ABRI Delegation fainted after he had cast his ballot. A team of paramedics came in and checked on his condition while Wiranto, TB Hasanuddin, and Ryamizard Ryacudu rose from their seats and watched over Amirul. Not long thereafter, Amirul was put on a gurney and taken outside of the MPR room, the explanation being that he had not been well for a few days but had insisted on continuing to participate in the MPR General Session.
Get well soon.

Megawati cast her vote with one eye behind her back. She was concerned that Nurcholish’s words along with the jeers of the other MPR Delegates when the votes were counted in the last round was beginning to have an effect on her followers. Her party consisted of those who had marched with her from the days that Soeharto tried to prevent her election as Chairwoman of the PDI right through the dark days after she had her party headquarters forcibly taken from her as well as activists who had stood up against the New Order and held the opinion that there was no difference between Soeharto and Try Sutrisno.

Now they were following a strategy that had been suggested by Chairman of Muhammadiyah Amien Rais and approved by her husband Taufiq Kiemas. The strategy has been quiet successful so far, catching the entire MPR General Session unawares and putting Megawati in a position where she’s one inconclusive round of voting away from seeing the President and Tutut take each other out, leaving the way open for her to nominate for the presidency when the MPR asks for new candidates.

The price to pay had been demoralized followers. The consensus throughout the PNI Delegation during MPR General Session was that what is being done is necessary but whether it was idealistic and in keeping with the spirit of their struggle was another thing. Taufiq Kiemas had cynically countered that this objection had not stopped the PNI’s delegates from cheering when another round of vote had resulted with no winners.

As Megawati returned to her seat, Chairman of the PNI’s MPR Delegation Sutjipto, Kwik Kian Gie, Sabam Sirait and Sidarto Danusubroto tried to put on a brave face while Treasurer of the PNI Laksamana Sukardi and Roy BB Janis looked they're not enjoying the reaction.
Next time, PNI. As long as Hendro is still there.

---
As the count got underway, Treasurer of the PKPB Akbar Tandjung nervously followed it, drawing his own tally. He looked around at the other PKPB delegates that had decided to go along with what he was doing. They had become more confident with the news that Yudhoyono had been caught out and that in all likelihood, he and his supporters would not be voting for Tutut; it made it seem more likely that they were backing the winning horse. But Akbar was nervous nevertheless.

Akbar pretended to be interested in what Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto was doing.
You'll get the seat, dude. I really hope you can use it to be a truly constructive force of the nation in the rightwing's side instead of just an hotbed for the rightwing extrimists.

She was surrounded in her seat by Prabowo, Secretary of the PKPB ZA Maulani and the PPP’s Hamzah Haz. There was a guest there too. In what looked to be a gesture of defiance, Ginandjar Kartasasmita, now a part of the Group Delegate without being minister of foreign affairs, made a show of walking over from his seat among the Group Delegates to sit with Tutut.

“Well, we hope that after Cak Nur’s speech that some of the Group Delegates will cast their vote for me”, Tutut said to Ginandjar “But if that should not prove enough, I hope that I can fall back on our arrangement.”

Akbar nodded as though interested. The discussion was about strategy. Tutut said that given Ginandjar will be the presidential candidate the PKPB will support, the vice presidential candidate must be from the PKPB. Ginandjar agreed to this. They also discussed about how the PPP’s support will be important and Hamzah said that all of the PPP votes should be available beause there will be no more obligation to support the President if the President can no longer nominate.

But something interrupted Tutut’s little discussion. The MPR Building had been largely silent as the count got underway but noise was slowly building…

“It’s getting louder”, Prabowo said “What’s happening?”

Tutut listened. As far as she was concerned, there were only three possibilities for her that day. The first was that she would win and be elected as the fourth President of the Republic of Indonesia but this was a possibility that was getting less likely every minute. The second was that both she and her opponent would not get enough votes, at which point the MPR would require new candidates be nominated; for which she had already agreed to support Ginandjar, a possibility that had become more likely.

But now it seemed like it was the third possibility that she had considered that was happening…

“They’re cheering for Mas Try each time a vote is counted in his favor”, Tutut realized.
Quoting Dave Norton:

During the vote counting, the abstentions were now being openly booed out of the perception and suspicion that such votes belonged to the PNI. It was clear though that there will be less abstentions in the current round of the voting. But the boos were cast aside in favor of cheers as the votes for the President sped ahead and as the votes for Tutut stalled.

“It’s not real until it’s happened”, Edi Sudrajat said.

“Oh yes it is,”, Chairman of the PKPI’s MPR Delegation Harsudiono Hartas countered “We got 461 votes last time, we crossed that mark a long time ago…”

As the vote counter announced another vote for Try Sutrisno, the PKPI Delegates erupted in loud cheers. Various PKPI delegates who had kept the count, as though updating each other, whispered excitedly “500..500..just one more”.

Then another piece of paper was picked out of the ballot box, opened, and held in front of the vote counter. He only just barely finished saying “Try…” when a even louder cheer erupted.
Well, even though no one is home, i still have neighbors too. So yeah. *loudly claps*

---
The President was watching all this on television with First Lady Tuti Setiawati. The PKPI Delegates seemed to be in pandemonium as Matori banged the gavel calling for silence and trying to keep the MPR Session under control causing the President to laugh in amusement.

There was a knock on the door and Presidential Aide-de-Camp Budiman walked in with a piece of paper. He said that there is a message for Tuti that has to be passed on to her. The President allowed it, still focused on what’s happening on television.

Tuti took the piece of paper from Budiman and read it. In it was a tally that Budiman had kept and it showed that as of the last vote counted, the President had reached 501 votes. Tuti smiled a motherly smile at Budiman, she realized that Budiman did not want to be the first to congratulate the President. And then she turned around, wrapped her arms around the President and kissed him on the cheek.

“I’m so proud of you, I really am”, Tuti told her husband.

“Wait, what the hell’s going on?” asked the President.

Budiman then bowed his head as he shook the President’s hand, behind him Military Secretary Saurip Kadi, Commander of the Presidential Bodyguard Nono Sampono and the Presidential Bodyguards on duty also came in the room to shake the President’s hand.
*sharply saluted*

---
“The count has been completed”, the vote counter announced over all the noise.

The delegates from the Group Delegates looked relieved that the process was now over though here and there, those who had obviously voted for the President revealed themselves by the fact that they were shaking hands with each other. The Regional Delegates also looked similarly relieved that everything was now over. The ABRI Delegates crowded around Wiranto as he instructed them to return to their day jobs and begin “wrapping things up” because his commandership will come to an end soon.
So close, yet so far, Bambang....

The PNI delegates looked demoralized with Megawati crying and holding on tightly to a tissue in her hand, Taufiq Kiemas trying to comfort her.
I really hope you guys can be more constructive next time, as you are the official Left Opposition, after all....

Tutut was more stoic and smiled as she turned around and shook hands with her supporters.
There goes your "interests", bahahahahahaha

The chatter quietened down.

“There are first and foremost, 96 abstentions in this round of voting”, Matori announced to a mixed reaction of applause that the number had gone down and some scattered boos that abstentions were still happening.

“Now moving on the presidential candidates”, Matori said “Firstly, with 328 votes: Mrs. Siti Hardiyanti Rukmana.”

Tutut bowed her head as her supporters applauded her with tears in their faces. Matori waited until the applause died down.
*raised eyebrow*

“With 576 votes: Gen. (Ret.) Try Sutrisno”, Matori announced to more applause and cheers as Matori continued on “As such, Gen. (Ret.) Try Sutrisno has obtained a majority of the votes in the MPR.”

More applause.

“Therefore, in accordance with the duties entrusted to the MPR in our constitution”, Matori continued “I hereby declare Gen. (Ret.) Try Sutrisno elected as the President of the Republic of Indonesia for the term 2003-2008!”
Well, well, thanks for the ride so far. I really got emotional this time around.....

Previously i thought that with Try getting reelected, it is finally over and the Garuda can finally soar. But i forgot another thing since there's still two days left before 11th.....

I hope the VP election would not get [REDACTED].

Man, i wonder where's John (that foreign student) right now. I hope he's doing a reaction video too (i know, 10 years too early for that trend) with his boarding family.

So, what happened with Amirul Isnaeni, by the way? Any words about his affiliation?

9th March 2003:
Being at Borobudur Hotel, the hotel furthest away from the MPR Building, the Group Delegates was the first scheduled to depart. A large bus waited just in front lobby. The last one to emerge was Chairman of the Group Delegates Nurcholish Madjid and microphones were thrust in his face, asking him how the Group Delegates would approach this round of voting. Nurcholish said that in the previous two rounds, despite stating that they will remain impartial in practice MPR Delegates belonging to the Group Delegates have voted or have been persuaded to vote for either one of the presidential candidates. The number of those who have remained impartial are decreasing.

“I have abstained in the previous two rounds of voting but for this round, I think a different approach is required”, Nurcholish said “I want to state on the record that I feel this Government has done well, it took us out the Asian Financial Crisis, it’s built infrastructure and increased living standards. My choice to abstain has been because of my stance that someone has to remain impartial not because I don’t recognize what has been achieved.

I had expected for the vote to be settled in the previous two rounds, but it evidently hasn’t. In the last 24 hours however, my thoughts keep coming back to the following three things. The first is my opinion on how the Government has fared in the last years, which I have just stated. The second thing is the fact that in the event of no candidates achieving enough votes to be declared elected, the President will no longer be allowed to nominate because new candidates would have to be nominated in accordance with the latest MPR Resolution on how the presidential and vice presidential is to be conducted.

The third and final thing, there are those who are abstaining not because they want to remain impartial but for political reasons…because they want to bring about a political outcome. I think the given the political reasons for this, these abstentions should not go unpunished.

For this round of voting, I intend not to remain impartial and cast my vote. I would ask others in the Group Delegates who have yet to cast a vote in the previous rounds to cast their vote in this round of voting.”
Nurcholish is no longer abstaining...
---
At the Presidential Palace, President Try Sutrisno presided over a ceremony in which he swore in the following:

*Marzuki Darusman SH as Acting Minister of Foreign Affairs, Marzuki will continue to retain his existing position as Minister of Legal Affairs
*Lt. Gen. Albert Inkiriwang as Acting Governor of Lemhanas

It was a short ceremony with just enough cameras to cover it because most of the cameramen had departed for the MPR Building.
Try decided to really rub it in, although I do wonder if they are staying in this job...
---
On the Group Delegates’ bus, where the ceremony was being shown on the bus’ television set, Ginandjar Kartasasmita scoffed quietly. That he had not been informed of this event and the appointment of Marzuki, who had intruded on foreign policy and clashed with Ginandjar, meant that it was calculated to embarrass and humiliate him.

Salah sendiri, pakai main dua kaki segala *nose twitch*”, a voice from elsewhere on the bus was heard saying.
Yeah...Ginandjar is perhaps regretting his choices
---
In the PKPB bus, Chairman of the PKPB’s MPR Delegation Prabowo Subianto had thrown down his mobile phone so hard it had shattered into pieces when he saw that the ceremony will also involve the swearing in of the Acting Governor of Lemhanas. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and his band of followers had been caught out and that meant that Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto could no longer be rely on their votes.
The mobile phone should have been disabled yesterday...
---
In the ABRI bus, Yudhoyono watched with a dejected expression. No one had come to his defense when Commander of ABRI Wiranto announced that he had been dismissed as Governor of Lemhanas. The others caught the message loud and clear that he was being made an example of and that they must fall in line and vote for the Pesident.

“I should just not care and still not vote for him, I have nothing to lose, right?” muttered Yudhoyono.

Mas Bambang, there’s still my career, there’s still Pramono’s career”, said Yudhoyono’s seat buddy, brother-in-law and Inspector General of the Army Erwin Sudjono “And there’s still Agus’ career.”

Yudhoyono shuddered at the thought of the President going after the military careers of his two brothers-in-law and his son. He still had something to lose after all.
Yeah....I think their careers might already been tainted by SBY actions, since in the short term, the most well known things SBY done is this kerfuffle...
---

At the Presidential Palace, Edi, Marzuki, and Albert Inkiriwang had departed together for the MPR Building in Edi’s official vehicle. The President headed for his private quarters though reporters were keen to get a word from him. Their curiosity why he replaced Ginandjar and Yudhoyono outweighed such questions such as how he felt moments before the MPR decides on his fate.

“I want to be sure whether I have 2 days or 2 months or 2 years or 2 terms as president, that those who I appoint are those I am convinced are on my side, not those openly trying to establish a political relationship with my opponents”, the President replied “The bloody details of the story I’m sure you enterprising reporters and journalists will find out after the MPR General Session, but for now I’d like to be somewhere quiet to watch what’s happening in the MPR. As you all are no doubt aware, my fate is being decided.”

---
At the MPR Building’s VIP Room, Chairman of the MPR Matori Abdul Djalil looked around at his vice chairmen of the MPR and wondered whether their moods were symbolic of their respective delegations.

Basofi Sudirman (PKPI) was quietly confident while Hartono (PKPB) for once looked dejected rather than looking like someone who was taking it for granted that they will win. Alex Litaay (PNI) was at once determined but ready to crumble at anytime. Nyoman Suwisma (ABRI) looked like he did not get a lot of sleep. Mario Carrascalao (Regional Delegates) seemed prepared for all eventualities while Edwin Soeryadjaya (Group Delegates) looked ready and keen to do something in the voting process rather than sit it out like on previous occasions.

Matori himself felt resolute just as the pro-Try PPP felt resolute, their 68 votes having not wavered despite approaches from the Tutut camp via Hamzah Haz and also by the Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati Soekarnoputri’s camp.

“Mr. Chairman”, an aide called in “The Acting Minister of Foreign Affairs, the State Secretary, and the Acting Governor of Lemhanas has arrived and sat down. Everyone’s taken their seats.”

“Let’s do this, then”, Matori said.

---
It was very late in the afternoon and the amount of time it took for all 1000 delegates to cast their votes and then have it counted, the vote-counting process was certain to become Sunday night “dinner entertainment” for the nation. Whereever there was a television, it seemed, the screen was adjusted to the MPR General Session.

Matori had not wasted his time, for within 5 minutes of sitting down after the national anthem had been played the MPR Delegates were once again called up to the front one-by-one to cast their vote and then put the ballot paper in the ballot box.

There was little drama as the MPR Delegates cast their votes. The KPU staff in charge of overseeing proceedings had once again become more efficient and the voting process, while still taking time because of the amount of delegates, was quicker than in the previous round. There was a collective gasp when Amirul Isnaeni from the ABRI Delegation fainted after he had cast his ballot. A team of paramedics came in and checked on his condition while Wiranto, TB Hasanuddin, and Ryamizard Ryacudu rose from their seats and watched over Amirul. Not long thereafter, Amirul was put on a gurney and taken outside of the MPR room, the explanation being that he had not been well for a few days but had insisted on continuing to participate in the MPR General Session.
Not gonna lie...I am worried that this is related to something much more disturbing that would in turn becoming a clusterfuck...but it turn out to be something else... I do wonder with the current economy and health situation, would Jakarta have some decent place to do a organ transplant that is on a level as Singapore by now ITTL.
Megawati cast her vote with one eye behind her back. She was concerned that Nurcholish’s words along with the jeers of the other MPR Delegates when the votes were counted in the last round was beginning to have an effect on her followers. Her party consisted of those who had marched with her from the days that Soeharto tried to prevent her election as Chairwoman of the PDI right through the dark days after she had her party headquarters forcibly taken from her as well as activists who had stood up against the New Order and held the opinion that there was no difference between Soeharto and Try Sutrisno.

Now they were following a strategy that had been suggested by Chairman of Muhammadiyah Amien Rais and approved by her husband Taufiq Kiemas. The strategy has been quiet successful so far, catching the entire MPR General Session unawares and putting Megawati in a position where she’s one inconclusive round of voting away from seeing the President and Tutut take each other out, leaving the way open for her to nominate for the presidency when the MPR asks for new candidates.

The price to pay had been demoralized followers. The consensus throughout the PNI Delegation during MPR General Session was that what is being done is necessary but whether it was idealistic and in keeping with the spirit of their struggle was another thing. Taufiq Kiemas had cynically countered that this objection had not stopped the PNI’s delegates from cheering when another round of vote had resulted with no winners.

As Megawati returned to her seat, Chairman of the PNI’s MPR Delegation Sutjipto, Kwik Kian Gie, Sabam Sirait and Sidarto Danusubroto tried to put on a brave face while Treasurer of the PNI Laksamana Sukardi and Roy BB Janis looked they're not enjoying the reaction.

And then the moment everyone was expecting for. The master of ceremonies announced that all of the MPR Delegates had voted, the ballot box was collected and the scrutineers summoned.

“You may begin the count”, Matori instructed.

“Here we go”, Harsudiono Hartas.

---
As the count got underway, Treasurer of the PKPB Akbar Tandjung nervously followed it, drawing his own tally. He looked around at the other PKPB delegates that had decided to go along with what he was doing. They had become more confident with the news that Yudhoyono had been caught out and that in all likelihood, he and his supporters would not be voting for Tutut; it made it seem more likely that they were backing the winning horse. But Akbar was nervous nevertheless.

Akbar pretended to be interested in what Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto was doing. She was surrounded in her seat by Prabowo, Secretary of the PKPB ZA Maulani and the PPP’s Hamzah Haz. There was a guest there too. In what looked to be a gesture of defiance, Ginandjar Kartasasmita, now a part of the Group Delegate without being minister of foreign affairs, made a show of walking over from his seat among the Group Delegates to sit with Tutut.

“Well, we hope that after Cak Nur’s speech that some of the Group Delegates will cast their vote for me”, Tutut said to Ginandjar “But if that should not prove enough, I hope that I can fall back on our arrangement.”

Akbar nodded as though interested. The discussion was about strategy. Tutut said that given Ginandjar will be the presidential candidate the PKPB will support, the vice presidential candidate must be from the PKPB. Ginandjar agreed to this. They also discussed about how the PPP’s support will be important and Hamzah said that all of the PPP votes should be available beause there will be no more obligation to support the President if the President can no longer nominate.

But something interrupted Tutut’s little discussion. The MPR Building had been largely silent as the count got underway but noise was slowly building…

“It’s getting louder”, Prabowo said “What’s happening?”

Tutut listened. As far as she was concerned, there were only three possibilities for her that day. The first was that she would win and be elected as the fourth President of the Republic of Indonesia but this was a possibility that was getting less likely every minute. The second was that both she and her opponent would not get enough votes, at which point the MPR would require new candidates be nominated; for which she had already agreed to support Ginandjar, a possibility that had become more likely.

But now it seemed like it was the third possibility that she had considered that was happening…

“They’re cheering for Mas Try each time a vote is counted in his favor”, Tutut realized.

---
During the vote counting, the abstentions were now being openly booed out of the perception and suspicion that such votes belonged to the PNI. It was clear though that there will be less abstentions in the current round of the voting. But the boos were cast aside in favor of cheers as the votes for the President sped ahead and as the votes for Tutut stalled.

“It’s not real until it’s happened”, Edi Sudrajat said.

“Oh yes it is,”, Chairman of the PKPI’s MPR Delegation Harsudiono Hartas countered “We got 461 votes last time, we crossed that mark a long time ago…”

As the vote counter announced another vote for Try Sutrisno, the PKPI Delegates erupted in loud cheers. Various PKPI delegates who had kept the count, as though updating each other, whispered excitedly “500..500..just one more”.

Then another piece of paper was picked out of the ballot box, opened, and held in front of the vote counter. He only just barely finished saying “Try…” when a even louder cheer erupted.
Yup....
---
The President was watching all this on television with First Lady Tuti Setiawati. The PKPI Delegates seemed to be in pandemonium as Matori banged the gavel calling for silence and trying to keep the MPR Session under control causing the President to laugh in amusement.

There was a knock on the door and Presidential Aide-de-Camp Budiman walked in with a piece of paper. He said that there is a message for Tuti that has to be passed on to her. The President allowed it, still focused on what’s happening on television.

Tuti took the piece of paper from Budiman and read it. In it was a tally that Budiman had kept and it showed that as of the last vote counted, the President had reached 501 votes. Tuti smiled a motherly smile at Budiman, she realized that Budiman did not want to be the first to congratulate the President. And then she turned around, wrapped her arms around the President and kissed him on the cheek.

“I’m so proud of you, I really am”, Tuti told her husband.

“Wait, what the hell’s going on?” asked the President.

Budiman then bowed his head as he shook the President’s hand, behind him Military Secretary Saurip Kadi, Commander of the Presidential Bodyguard Nono Sampono and the Presidential Bodyguards on duty also came in the room to shake the President’s hand.

---
“The count has been completed”, the vote counter announced over all the noise.

The delegates from the Group Delegates looked relieved that the process was now over though here and there, those who had obviously voted for the President revealed themselves by the fact that they were shaking hands with each other. The Regional Delegates also looked similarly relieved that everything was now over. The ABRI Delegates crowded around Wiranto as he instructed them to return to their day jobs and begin “wrapping things up” because his commandership will come to an end soon.

The PNI delegates looked demoralized with Megawati crying and holding on tightly to a tissue in her hand, Taufiq Kiemas trying to comfort her. Tutut was more stoic and smiled as she turned around and shook hands with her supporters.

There were handshakes, hugs and congratulations all around among the PKPI delegates while the PPP delegates, the ones who voted for the President anyway, broke into song (“Shalaatullaah Salaamullaah 'Alaa Thaaha Rasuulillaah”).

“Can I have silence for a moment please, the votes have been counted and count has been tallied up and the scrutineers have confirmed that it is correct”, Matori said after having received a piece of paper with the official vote count “And the count is as follows…”

The chatter quietened down.

“There are first and foremost, 96 abstentions in this round of voting”, Matori announced to a mixed reaction of applause that the number had gone down and some scattered boos that abstentions were still happening.
So there are 12 abstentions from outside of PNI, but that did not really matter
“Now moving on the presidential candidates”, Matori said “Firstly, with 328 votes: Mrs. Siti Hardiyanti Rukmana.”

Tutut bowed her head as her supporters applauded her with tears in their faces. Matori waited until the applause died down.
Well I think she did not realised yet that the count tally in this round was lower than in the first round...and when she does...oh dear...
“With 576 votes: Gen. (Ret.) Try Sutrisno”, Matori announced to more applause and cheers as Matori continued on “As such, Gen. (Ret.) Try Sutrisno has obtained a majority of the votes in the MPR.”

More applause.

“Therefore, in accordance with the duties entrusted to the MPR in our constitution”, Matori continued “I hereby declare Gen. (Ret.) Try Sutrisno elected as the President of the Republic of Indonesia for the term 2003-2008!”
And Try is entering the second full term of his presidency....

Last edited:
Not gonna lie...I am worried that this is related to something much more disturbing that would in turn becoming a clusterfuck...but it turn out to be something else... I do wonder with the current economy and health situation, would Jakarta have some decent place to do a organ transplant that is on a level as Singapore by now ITTL.
Oh, so that's the issue.

Yeah, i thought something a bit omnious is happened too (albeit not about the four-lettered acronym) since @GSD310 didn't give the usual footer explanations there....

Really, i hope he can get well soon.

LET'S GOOOOOO HE WON BY A WHOLE ASS LANDSLIDE! TRY 5 TAHUN LAGI!

I've been slowly reading from the start since a couple weeks ago, and I'm really happy that I'm finally caught up, and that this is still going strong with its updates. This ATL pushed me to make an account just so I can tell you how amazing of a ride this had been, and I'm mega excited for another 5 years of Try.

I've been slowly reading from the start since a couple weeks ago, and I'm really happy that I'm finally caught up, and that this is still going strong with its updates. This ATL pushed me to make an account just so I can tell you how amazing of a ride this had been, and I'm mega excited for another 5 years of Try.
Welcome, dude. We're here for the same reason, hahahahahaha.....

576 votes huh? The votes from Akbar might not be needed after all, and if Try wants to renege on the deal he could, but it won't be good look. Besides, having a good relationship with a party leader is good, less chance of obstruction in the parliament.

Thank you so much for all the reaction and support, guys. That chapter, along events such as Megawati's "long shot" and Ginandjar trying to play both sides, was something that had been floating around in my head for a good nearly 3 years now. I feel relieved that it's all out there.

So, what happened with Amirul Isnaeni, by the way? Any words about his affiliation?
@focus9912's research is correct. ITTL Amirul Isnaeni is not well just as his OTL self was not well. He is loyal to Try. At present he is the Head of the ABRI Intelligence Agency.

576 votes huh? The votes from Akbar might not be needed after all, and if Try wants to renege on the deal he could, but it won't be good look. Besides, having a good relationship with a party leader is good, less chance of obstruction in the parliament.
Basically, Try got all the 35 ABRI that went with SBY to vote for Tutut and the rest are all Akbar votes plus the Group Delegates that followed Nurcholish's instruction not to abstain again.

Will being Try's son in law cost Lt. Gen Ryamizard Ryacudu his chance to become the Chief of Staff of the Army?
This is from 21st March 2001:
Wiranto arrived at ABRI Headquarters where a working lunch with Army Chief of Staff Luhut Panjaitan awaited.

“Yudhoyono will not like this command shuffle”, commented Luhut referring to ABRI General Chief of Staff Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

“Bambang’s classmates and brother-in-law are doing well”, said Wiranto before Yudhoyono even began to speak “The only reason he’ll complain is because his prospects to be your successor just took a hit.”

“How did the bargaining go in there with Tubagus going to Kostrad?”asked Luhut.

“I told the President there will be resistance from the officer corps if his son-in-law were to be promoted to Commander of Kostrad and be in contention for the Army Chief of Staff’s position in the future but that there are precedents for former presidential aide-de-camps being advanced to prominent positions, namely his and my career paths”, said Wiranto.

There was silence as Luhut chewed on his lunch.

“You’re not surprised he tried to nominate Ryamizard for Commander of Kostrad?” asked Wiranto referring to ABRI Assistant of General Planning Ryamizard Ryacudu who also happened to be the President’s son-in-law.

“I had an inkling that he would” said Luhut “But he’s aware of the consensus you and I had built among the officer corps that there would be no more Prabowos. The only reason the President would offer Ryamizard is so that he could open up the way for Tubagus.”

“That’s precisely what he did”, replied Wiranto “He made ABRI choose between his son-in-law or his former aide-de-camp and we had to choose the latter because we can’t accept the former.”

“It had to be between the son-in-law or the former aide-de-camp, Commander”, said Luhut

So basically given that Soeharto favored his son-in-law, the officer corps had gently told Try that that's not going to happen. Ryamizard is still doing well for himself though. He's the Inspector General of ABRI basically in charge of internal supervision of ABRI.

The officer who claim to be Try's favorite ITTL is Tubagus "TB" Hasanuddin, former vice presidential/presidential aide-de-camp, who is now holding the Army Chief of Staff's position. I suppose the Indonesian readers, if they know the way these things work in Indonesian military politics, can guess already with Try having been re-elected and Wiranto saying his time is coming to an end, what TB Hasanuddin's next assignment will be.

Thank you so much, I know there are those of you who binge on this TL based on the notifications I get hahahaha.

This TL is a nice little escape from reality, I guess that's why I'm still at it. The longest I've been away from this TL was 7-8 months and at the time I thought that I'm still thinking about this TL WAY too much for me to stop.

Thank you so much for all the reaction and support, guys. That chapter, along events such as Megawati's "long shot" and Ginandjar trying to play both sides, was something that had been floating around in my head for a good nearly 3 years now. I feel relieved that it's all out there.
Well the way you eloquently and meticulously show the twist and turns of the election theater show that you had put so much thought into it, it is by far the best part of this timeline IMO...
ITTL Amirul Isnaeni is not well just as his OTL self was not well. He is loyal to Try. At present he is the Head of the ABRI Intelligence Agency.
To be perfectly honest, from the very little that I have read, IMO, if SBY's gang decided to persuade him, the resultant ensuing shock and stress would probably push his health problem over the edge....
Basically, Try got all the 35 ABRI that went with SBY to vote for Tutut and the rest are all Akbar votes plus the Group Delegates that followed Nurcholish's instruction not to abstain again.

So basically given that Soeharto favored his son-in-law, the officer corps had gently told Try that that's not going to happen. Ryamizard is still doing well for himself though. He's the Inspector General of ABRI basically in charge of internal supervision of ABRI.

The officer who claim to be Try's favorite ITTL is Tubagus "TB" Hasanuddin, former vice presidential/presidential aide-de-camp, who is now holding the Army Chief of Staff's position. I suppose the Indonesian readers, if they know the way these things work in Indonesian military politics, can guess already with Try having been re-elected and Wiranto saying his time is coming to an end, what TB Hasanuddin's next assignment will be.
Hmm...I do wonder how would this would play into the new dynamics of ITTL ABRI...
Thank you so much, I know there are those of you who binge on this TL based on the notifications I get hahahaha.

This TL is a nice little escape from reality, I guess that's why I'm still at it. The longest I've been away from this TL was 7-8 months and at the time I thought that I'm still thinking about this TL WAY too much for me to stop.
Yeah...now that the election in Indonesia has been decided...it would be very interesting to see what do they do next...especially in regards to things that could effect Kuala Lumpur/Putrajaya relations with Beijing....

I did a little counting, round 2 was 460 votes for Try. With ABRI votes it's 495, they only needed 6 more votes from Group Delegates that changed their stance from impartiality and were able to convince Nurcholish himself, that should be easy for 501. Akbar only promised 40, so technically his votes weren't vital. Still it sparked hope in Try's camp to fight until the end because it provided assurance.
Riveting stuff, I am glad you never dropped this TL.

-A collective profile of “The Four Horsemen of Try” (Try’s inner circle; this will be an OTL blending into ITTL profile)

-What political actors are thinking at the moment (this will be a series of quotes that reflect the thoughts of various political actors who aren’t Try)
Just arrived on this moment again and i pondering something about this. IIRC you haven't posted about either two since we got John and the Priyatnos instead.

So maybe as another refresher, you can do either two. With the latter is retooled into other politicians' reaction for Try's 2nd Victory, either when the VP has also elected or before.

Waiting for the reactions across the world. Some will be uneasy, but many others will be pleased to hear Try still in charge.
Another way to say a continuation of pragmatism? realpolitik? SEA oriented politics?

238: Ginandjar's Time
9th March 2003:
It was already getting late when a tired-looking but very much happy Chairman of the PKPI’s MPR Delegation Harsudiono Hartas and Co-Secretaries of the PKPI’s MPR Delegation Sarwono Kusumaatdja and Siswono Yudohusodo emerged out of the Presidential Palace for a press conference after a meeting with President Try Sutrisno. Harsudiono said that the President feels honored that the MPR has entrusted him with another mandate to lead but that he will have further to say at his inauguration on 11th March 2003.

On the matter of the vice-presidential elections, Harsudiono announced that the President has confirmed that he would like to see Vice President JB Sumarlin re-elected as well and has instructed the PKPI Delegation in the MPR to ensure that this will be the case.

----
For the second time in a few days, the PPP’s Hamzah Haz had to suffer the indignity of checking out of a hotel because the MPR Delegation staying in said hotel no longer wanted him there. He and his followers were seen leaving the Grand Hyatt where the PKPB was staying on a bus, guided by a staff member from the MPR Secretariat.

“My colleagues and I have kept our end of the deal and have voted for the Chairwoman of the PKPB in all the rounds of voting”, Hamzah said to the press before getting on the bus “We’re not responsible for what has happened.”

Hamzah and his supporters were checked into to Borobudur Hotel where the Group Delegates’ were staying. Hamzah had just received his hotel key card and was looking for the elevator when two men sitting in the lobby came and asked Hamzah to join them. It turned out to the Group Delegates’ Ginandjar Kartasasmita and Amien Rais; Hamzah sat in on their admittedly intriguing discussion about what they were planning for the vice-presidential election. The only sour point for Hamzah was that the two took it for granted that the PKPB’s claim that he had switched back to voting for the President was true, making the argument that wanting the President to be re-elected was not synonymous with wishing the same thing for the Vice President.

10th March 2003:
Ginandjar graced the screens of the TVRI this morning as he appeared on an interview. When asked about his “turbulent” day yesterday, which saw him being dismissed from his position as minister of foreign affairs, Ginandjar was being good-natured about it. He congratulated the President on the latter’s re-election and said that it was the President’s prerogative to make such appointments and removals.

When asked what he would do next given that there was still slightly more than a day left in the MPR General Session, Ginandjar was coy and said that he did not want to “get ahead of the others”.

---
A joint delegation of MPR Delegates from the PKPI, the PPP, and the Regional Delegates arrived at the Vice Presidential Palace this morning. The PKPI delegation were represented by Chairman Harsudiono Hartas, Co-Secretaries Sarwono Kusumaatmadja and Siswono Yudohusodo, Marzuki Darusman, Wismoyo Arismunandar, Soeyono, Meutia Hatta, Hamengkubuwono X, and Sofyan Lubis.

The PPP delegation were represented by Chairman Zarkasih Nur, Secretary Yusuf Rizal Tjokroaminoto, Rusnain Yahya, Khofifah Indar Parawansa, and Bachtiar Chamsyah.

The Regional Delegates were represented by the Group of 7 who were the first to declare their support for the President; Dahlan Iskan (East Java), Prince Paku Alam IX (Yogyakarta), Biem Benyamin (Jakarta), Nyoman Rudana (Bali), Lefran Sondakh (North Sulawesi), Irman Gusman (West Sumatra), and Frans Wospakrik (Irian Jaya).

Looking small in his chair, Vice President JB Sumarlin listened on as Harsudiono read out that the joint delegation was there that day out of the realization that all the achievements of the past five years are possible because it was built on the strong base of economic policy and that Sumarlin’s expertise in economics have been “essential” for such an economic policy. With that in mind, they “Hereby ask you, Prof. Drs. JB Sumarlin M.A., Ph.D, the Vice President of the Republic of Indonesia currently holding office, for your willingness to be nominated for another term as Vice President of the Republic of Indonesia?”

Sumarlin stood up, looking solemn.

“With the trust and support of both the President and this coalition, I accept the nomination for the office of Vice President of the Republic of Indonesia”, Sumarlin said.

---
The footage of Sumarlin accepting the PKPI, the PPP, and the Regional Delegates’ nomination for the vice presidency was broadcast split screen on the nation’s television screens with another event happening simultaneously.

At the MPR Building, Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto, Chairman of the PKPB’s MPR Delegation Prabowo Subianto, Secretary of the PKPB ZA Maulani, Treasurer of the PKPB Akbar Tandjung was seen emerging out of the office of the Chairman of the MPR Matori Abdul Djalil. Tutut was still smiling though thought of the previous day’s events made the smile seemed forced.

Mbak Tutut, will you also be nominating for the vice presidency?” asked the press.

“I certainly will not, I think I have had enough of political contests for now”, Tutut said “In my meeting yesterday with Kang Ginandjar Kartasasmita, I told him that in the case of my election as president, I wanted him to be vice president and I will supporting him should he nominate. Obviously, my part of the equation did not pan out well…”

Some laughter among the press. Tutut laughed along but once again, her laughter seemed forced.

“…but it is Kang Ginandjar’s intention to nominate for this office and it is my intention to honor this commitment even though I had not been elected to the office I had sought election for”, Tutut said “Therefore the PKPB will be nominating Ginandjar Kartasasmita for vice president.”

---
The PNI key persons meeting attended by Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati Soekarnoputri, Chairman of the PNI’s MPR Delegation/Secretary of the PNI Sutjipto, Treasurer of the PNI Laksamana Sukardi, Megawati’s husband, Taufiq Kiemas, and Kwik Kian Gie. Still demoralized that their “long shot” had not worked, the meeting to discuss the PNI’s stance in the vice-presidential elections quickly turned ugly.

Laksamana Sukardi pointed out that the PNI’s stance should either be to nominate a vice-presidential candidate or to support an existing vice-presidential candidate instead of trying to play “4D chess” and failing. Taufiq angrily asked “What the hell’s that supposed to mean?” and a shouting match ensued.

---
Chairman of the MPR/Chairman of the PPP Matori Abdul Djalil had intended to have lunch by himself but the person who called and asked to be his lunch buddy piqued his interest. Thus it was that Matori came to have lunch with Hamzah. Hamzah complained at length about “the way” he was treated. He had voted for Tutut for three consecutive rounds but they became “unfriendly” when he failed to get any extra PPP votes for Tutut ahead of the third round of voting. And then after Tutut’s defeat, the PKPB accused him of switching back to the President and called him the “Trojan horse the President had planted” before telling him to pack up.

“So in other words, you want to switch sides for real…”, Matori said “I mean, it’ll be great to have another few more votes for the Vice President’s re-election, it’s just that you will be supporting the Vice President days after you told a PPP meeting that you will not be supporting the President if it meant that he will be choosing the Vice President for another term.”

Hamzah was quiet.

“I realize that, Mr. Chairman”, Hamzah said as though in the middle of a difficult dilemma “There would have to be a compelling reason for me and supporters to switch back that makes supporting the Vice President’s re-election more palatable…”

Matori was amazed at how Hamzah had nowhere else to go but back into the President’s coalition but was still bargaining to get a bone thrown his way. But then again there’s an opportunity here to be seized and he made Hamzah an offer.

After lunch, Matori together with Chairman of the PPP’s MPR Delegation Zarkasih Nur and Secretary of the PPP’s MPR Delegation Jusuf Rizal Tjokroaminoto went to the Presidential Palace to meet the President who was accompanied by Vice Chairman of the MPR/Chairman of the PKPI Basofi Sudirman, Harsudiono Hartas, Sarwono Kusumaatmadja, Siswono Yudohusodo, and Edi Sudrajat. Matori explained what went down at lunchtime with Hamzah to the meeting.

“You offered him the chairmanship of the BPK?” asked the President.

“I did, Mr. President”, replied Matori “From a technical standpoint, Hamzah has made a reputation for himself in the DPR as someone interested in scrutinizing the budget and the state’s finances, the chairmanship of the BPK not only gives him an elevated office but is a natural progression of those interests. Of course, he was up to take the chairmanship of the BPK last year but we blocked it because the PKPB nominated him to that position to try to put a wedge between our two parties.”

“Hang on, Mr. Chairman”, Edi said “The PKPB no longer want him, he’s looking for refuge but he’s the one that we have to to offer something to?”

“At first I thought like that”, Matori replied “But then I saw this as an opportunity to get some votes and kick Hamzah upstairs so he could no longer bother us.”

“It has the additional benefit of helping keep Akbar hidden as well”, Sarwono interjected, speaking of Akbar Tandjung “By blaming Hamzah as part of the reason for Tutut’s defeat, the PKPB’s suspicions are not directed in Akbar’s direction. And if we want him to eventually be the chairman of the PKPB, he and his supporters who has voted for the President need to remain beyond suspicion until it can no longer be hidden. One way to do that is to keep Hamzah from running around telling people it wasn’t his fault Tutut lost and getting people to start getting ideas.”

All in the room turned to the President who was thinking it through.

“All right, the chairmanship of the BPK in exchange for Hamzah and his supporters’ return to our coalition”, the President said “But I must say here and now, that I don’t want the jockeying and maneuvering and disgruntlement must stop. If things don’t turn out the way the PPP expected them to in the new cabinet, they need to remember they’re going to have 2 members heading 2 major state institutions. I don’t want them sharpening their knives behind me for the next 5 years. The PPP must fall in line.”

---
The MPR met again that late afternoon though not only enough delegates attended from all the delegations to meet the quorum. The business at hand was some house-keeping but included the passing of two MPR Resolutions:

*The Third MPR Resolution of 2003 Regarding The Broad Outlines of State Policy (GBHN). This resolution formally adopts the document submitted by the PKPI regarding its aims for the next term of government as the MPR’s on account of the President’s re-election.

*The Fourth MPR Resolution of 2003 Regarding The Appointment of the President of the Republic of Indonesia. This resolution formally acknowledges the President’s re-election and stipulates that his term will begin on 11th March 2003.

*The Fifth MPR Resolution of 2003 Regarding The 2007 Legislative Elections and The 2008 MPR General Session. This resolution mandates the government to hold elections by June 2007 and an MPR General Session in March 2008.

The other housekeeping matter was conducted by Matori, Basofi, and the other Vice Chairmen of the MPR Hartono, Nyoman Suwisma, Alex Litaay, Mario Carrascalao, and Edwin Soeryadjaya. They went around first to Ginandjar’s personal residence, now that he is no longer minister of foreign affairs and then to the Vice Presidential Palace to verify the candidacies of the two vice presidential candidates.

---
As Matori announced that he had completed verification of both Sumarlin and Ginandjar’s vice presidential candidacies, the MPR Delegates had gone into yet another round of counting votes.

Looking at how the votes were lining up, Harsudiono hoped that he could retain all 576 votes in the MPR that had secured the President’s re-election. Akbar Tandjung and his supporters, however, will be voting for Ginandjar in the vice presidential elections in order to remain undercover. Hamzah Haz had met again with Zarkasih Nur and the PPP’s MPR Delegation. This all-but confirmed his return to the coalition and somewhat compensated for Akbar and his supporters’ votes.

On Anteve’s Cakrawala News Program, Sarwono made an appeal to MPR Delegates that given the President’s victory last night, the President should be given the opportunity to have the best possible start for his new term by electing the vice presidential candidate of his choosing. Sarwono reminded that 5 years ago, Sumarlin had been elected vice president on such sentiments and he hopes that that could be the case. The PKPB’s Fadli Zon was not about to let Sarwono off the hook, however. Appearing on the same show at the same time, he said that 5 years ago there was an economic crisis and that the MPR has chosen to let the President have the Vice President of his choosing. This time however, with the economic situation being favorable, the MPR can and should be given the opportunity to have a more considered choice for vice president.

Elsewhere, at a press conference at the Borobudur Hotel where the Group Delegates were staying, Amien Rais declared that he and the MPR Delegates he control will be casting their votes for Ginandjar at the vice presidential election. When asked whether that meant that Amien will be on the “same side as the Soehartoists”, Amien said that this was not the case because he will be voting for Ginandjar not for Tutut Soeharto.

The day ended with Ginandjar appearing on RCTI. In his major second interview of the day. Ginandjar spoke confidently about his candidacy for vice president. When asked what kind of a partnership he would have with the President as vice president, Ginandjar replied that it will be the “tried and proven” partnership which he had with the President when he was minister of foreign affairs. Ginandjar was also asked whether he will focus on foreign policy if he was elected as vice president.

“It will be for the President to decide what my area of focus should be”, said Ginandjar “But I’m ready for all possibilities, if he wants me to have the same area of focus as Vice President Sumarlin, which is economic policy, I’m ready too. I after all have experience as Minister of National Development Planning, if he wants the same arrangement that he has now with Vice President Sumarlin, I’m more than ready.”

---
While Ginandjar and his supporters tried to boost his vice presidential candidacy, Sumarlin took advantage of his incumbency even though there were only less than 24 hours left in his term. That evening, he joined the President at the Presidential Palace to welcome some guests who arrived escorted by Acting Minister of Foreign Affairs Marzuki Darusman.

Prime Minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra, President of the Philippines Joseph Estrada, President of Laos Choummaly Sayasone and President of Vietnam Tran Duc Luong had bright smiles on their faces as they shook hands with Try and congratulated him on his re-election. In the hours after Try’s re-election and even though at quite short notice, the Jakarta Bloc nations, those ASEAN Nations which had banded together with Indonesia on various geopolitical issues, had expressed their determination that their representatives at Try’s inauguration should be from the highest levels.

They were not only the ones to send a high-ranking official. Arriving in private capacity even though this private capacity could not be separated from his official one was Norodom Ranariddh from Cambodia; son of King Norodom Sihanouk, President of Cambodia’s National Assembly, and the person set to challenge Prime Minister of Cambodia Hun Sen at Cambodia’s General Election in July.

After they shook hands with Try, they shook hands and then crowded around Sumarlin, talking about the mechanics of the MPR General Session and Sumarlin’s chances the next day as well as their own experiences with electoral politics. Watching on, Edi Sudrajat instructed television cameras and photographers to get as close as possible to record footage and take pictures of Sumarlin talking with leaders from the region.

Try however was waiting for one final guest, a late addition to the crowd of dignitaries that have decided to come to Jakarta. When this guest arrived, Try greeted him with a big smile.

“Prime Minister Morauta”, Try said to Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea Mekere Morauta “I’m honored that you’ve taken the time to come here.”

“Well if these folks can make it, I can too, Mr. President”, Morauta said “We’re just right next door to each other after all.”

---
Hamzah Haz’ reputation outside of his political maneuverings is as the PPP’s guy when it comes to National Budget issues (https://web.archive.org/web/20110208165028/http://www.tokoh-indonesia.com/ensiklopedi/h/hamzah-haz/index.shtml). His portrayal ITTL is because I think based on seeing him in OTL, he’s not so much a bad guy as an opportunist. He was against female presidents in 1999 but ended up being Megawati’s VP in 2001 and quite okay with that.

I think @focus9912 asked a few pages before. It can be spelled Bepeka or BPK.

In OTL, Ginandjar was Minister of National Development Planning from 1993-1999 so he does have experience in economics.

Waiting for the reactions across the world. Some will be uneasy, but many others will be pleased to hear Try still in charge.
You can say the ones that have arrived in Jakarta are those most pleased at Try's re-election.

And the ones most displeased...you can already guess who would be unhappy seeing solidarity between the SE Asian nations and who would be unhappy seeing PNG's PM attending Try's inauguration.

Next up will be Try's inauguration and Sumarlin vs. Ginandjar for the VP's position.